View Poll Results: Do you want Intrepid to change Ubuntu's GNOME main theme?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer a redesigned Ubuntu

269 74.10%
  • Yes, I will prefer a Ubuntu desktop that looks more like Windows

9 2.48%
  • Nah, I like brown Human

85 23.42%
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Do you want a new theme for Ubuntu 9.04 ?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    You've not heard of GNOME 3.0 being planned for winter 2010. See some mockups.
    Interesting. It's exactly this kind of push that Gnome needs.

I hate to make this comparison, but take Explorer as an example. Microsoft aren't afraid to make UI, and to an extent, usability changes. There's an initial learning curve, but from a purely aesthetic perspective, there's no denying that each version of Windows looks better than the last, and you soon get used to the slight changes in functionality.

Sure, they have the resources to do this, but the longer Gnome/Ubuntu stick with their current UI, the further they slip behind.

(I say Gnome/Ubuntu, but of course Gnome development benefits Debian, Fedora, Suse et al... which is no bad thing.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfReach View Post
    The new theme would have to follow the orange/brown colors.
    Oh? Then I can't see the problem of a new theme for 9.04 as long as they offered the older themes if we wanted to use them.
    > Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T3200 2.0GHz | Running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
    > Currently learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu Server
    > The difference between Windows and a virus? Viruses rarely fail...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    I would like a new theme, but there are two things I would like more in Ubuntu 9.04 than a new theme.

1. A better Human color scheme.
    The current Human color scheme is too vibrant. The oranges and browns used in the Intrepid theme are overly saturated and bright. If the Ubuntu art team could come up with a color palette made up of more subtle browns and oranges, I think the default theme would look much more attractive.

2. A better default font.
    I don't mean to insult or offend anyone, but the default font (Sans) sucks. It's ugly. Look at the default fonts of Windows Vista. Those fonts are incredibly attractive. The Ubuntu developers should come up with their own attractive set of default fonts.
    Yea...the 1st thing I do after install/reinstalling *buntu is change the font...fortunately I have a few neat simple yet elegant ones handy.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not voting.
    I'm grateful for the creators give me.
    And then of course I customize...
    Ubuntu Release 12.04
    Kernel Linux 3.0.0-16-generic
    Pentium dual core 3.00GHz

Beans
    Hidden!

Why care about the theme? Doubt very few actually keep the default theme for long. I change mine all the time. Doesn't look anything close to the default Intrepid theme. Same will happen with the next upgrade.

We can make our theme whatever we want. And, life is good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd like to see something a little more aqua, not OSX but, I prefer water to earth, and I use blue window border from clearlooks and the controls from glossyP the ubuntu standard icons make for good contrast. But that's what is so great about Linux...Freedom of choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gabhla View Post
    Why care about the theme? Doubt very few actually keep the default theme for long. I change mine all the time. Doesn't look anything close to the default Intrepid theme. Same will happen with the next upgrade.

We can make our theme whatever we want. And, life is good.
    It's a marketing thing. The more unattractive the default theme looks, the less people are going to want to make the switch. Ubuntu should market their operating system by the way it looks by default, not by the ease of changing themes.

Quote Originally Posted by peakpc View Post
    I'd like to see something a little more aqua, not OSX but, I prefer water to earth, and I use blue window border from clearlooks and the controls from glossyP the ubuntu standard icons make for good contrast. But that's what is so great about Linux...Freedom of choice.
    Unfortunately, the Ubuntu developers are dead set on the brown/orange color scheme. It's product identity. Windows has Aero and OS X has Aqua, or whatever they call it now.

They should be able to keep that product identity, but they should also present it in a more professional way.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

its really all based on the desktop environment !

you have gnome and kde, i think they are far more responsible ...

of course in ubuntu they can modify colors around a window and choose the the default wallpaper, with regards this discussion should be directed at the gnome and kde folks.

what we get with ubuntu is its functionality, meaning' its not how it looks, how it operates a system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    2. A better default font.
    I don't mean to insult or offend anyone, but the default font (Sans) sucks. It's ugly. Look at the default fonts of Windows Vista. Those fonts are incredibly attractive. The Ubuntu developers should come up with their own attractive set of default fonts.
    I agree with the font. I always change it. I find it too big at 10pt, it should be 9, but a change, perhaps to Dejavu sans would even be better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sstusick View Post
    I agree with the font. I always change it. I find it too big at 10pt, it should be 9, but a change, perhaps to Dejavu sans would even be better.
    It just doesn't scream "product identity." I mean, look at Windows. They have fonts like Calibri and Consolas. OS X has fonts like Apple Garamond and Lucida Grande.

Where is the font that says "Ubuntu"? And don't say ubuntu-title. That font isn't meant for system use.

Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast