View Poll Results: Do you want Intrepid to change Ubuntu's GNOME main theme?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer a redesigned Ubuntu

269 74.10%
  • Yes, I will prefer a Ubuntu desktop that looks more like Windows

9 2.48%
  • Nah, I like brown Human

85 23.42%
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Do you want a new theme for Ubuntu 9.04 ?

I personally like the aesthetics in KDE 4.x as seen in Kubuntu and Sabayon 4.0 (http://www.sabayonlinux.org/screenshots). I prefer dark themes (easier on my eyes) and they just look slick.

KDE has the advantage over Gnome in aesthetics whether light or dark themes are used. Gnome with Metacity just tends to look kind of flat and boring. And, the default Ubuntu themes are especially boring and funky looking to me, the orange and brown in windows just doesn't do anything for me (although I really like the wall papers in Hardy and Intrepid, very artistic and cool looking).

I'd like to see more wow factor in the default theme for Ubuntu, so you can show it off to your friends on their computer with the live CD. Also, a better default dark theme would be great. DarkRoom is not at all attractive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by undoIT View Post
    I personally like the aesthetics in KDE 4.x as seen in Kubuntu and Sabayon 4.0 (http://www.sabayonlinux.org/screenshots). I prefer dark themes (easier on my eyes) and they just look slick.

KDE has the advantage over Gnome in aesthetics whether light or dark themes are used. Gnome with Metacity just tends to look kind of flat and boring. And, the default Ubuntu themes are especially boring and funky looking to me, the orange and brown in windows just doesn't do anything for me (although I really like the wall papers in Hardy and Intrepid, very artistic and cool looking).

I'd like to see more wow factor in the default theme for Ubuntu, so you can show it off to your friends on their computer with the live CD. Also, a better default dark theme would be great. DarkRoom is not at all attractive.
    I downloaded and installed the Ubuntu Studio theme (just the theme, not the whole distro) and like it. Though I don't think as dark a theme as that would work (it does get a little tricky on the eyes when the webpage has a lot of white) but it does have some nice icons and touches that Ubuntu could learn from. I especially like the icons but haven't found them anywhere other than the .deb package (and I'd like to use them in Fedora).

If you think Gnome looks flat, try Xfce.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I downloaded and installed the Ubuntu Studio theme (just the theme, not the whole distro) and like it. Though I don't think as dark a theme as that would work (it does get a little tricky on the eyes when the webpage has a lot of white) but it does have some nice icons and touches that Ubuntu could learn from. I especially like the icons but haven't found them anywhere other than the .deb package (and I'd like to use them in Fedora).

If you think Gnome looks flat, try Xfce.
    Yes, the Ubuntu Studio theme is very good. I think it probably changes things at a deeper level than what can be installed with the Appearance control panel (although I may be wrong about that). I like some of the very dark themes too, for example:

Slickness Black:
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=73210

Divinorum and color variants:
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=71798

Smoked Glass:
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=27141

Cobra:
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=58699

Perhaps Ubuntu Studio or any of these could be adjusted for Ubuntu and packaged as the default dark theme in Jaunty. The problem with the really dark themes is that not all applications play nice. Firefox has problems with input areas and it is not possible to override the CSS chrome in Firefox 3 (it was possible in 2). OpenOffice has some problems. Filezilla has problems. The Thunderbird notifications are problematic.

I'm not sure what would have to be done to fully support dark themes in Gnome so that they work with all the other applications. For me, I feel less eye strain when working for extended periods of time using a dark theme. This is especially noticeable if working in a dimly lit room.

I have briefly used a few distros with Xfce. Xubuntu is actually quite nice and looks good too. But, Xfce is supposed to be light-weight and run well on older machines, so eye-candy is not a priority.
    Last edited by undoIT; February 20th, 2009 at 05:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Aha! I just found a fix for Firefox 3 while using dark themes:

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=89200

So far it looks like it is working flawlessly. Also, the newest version of Filezilla doesn't have any problems. Now if I can just get OpenOffice working so I can see the cell formating in Calc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Quote Originally Posted by undoIT View Post
    Aha! I just found a fix for Firefox 3 while using dark themes:

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=89200

So far it looks like it is working flawlessly. Also, the newest version of Filezilla doesn't have any problems. Now if I can just get OpenOffice working so I can see the cell formating in Calc...
    Nice, atlast you got it.

Be in touch...
    Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming. - Brian

Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

Yeah, I love the brown theme. I prefer a little tweak and improve it than to appeal to another.

I like the brown theme, but...

The default install, as I recall, does come with an optional blue GDM login. Why not add a blueish theme and wallpaper as an option? Perhaps a how-to link on the Desktop to a file telling super-beginners how to choose those other themes?

Maybe add in a theme with some textured grays, backgrounds for the panels, etc. for Karmic Koala?
    My little blog/notebook

Forums for Project Permafrost, a new, centralized community for IceWM users and developers -- whether of themes, configurations, or the window manager itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

...and so it continues.

The new ubuntu is far slicker than previous versions. I think this is the best yet. However I'm still not wowed by its look. Also I'm not overly impressed with the alternative looks from gnome-look. I'm currently using the kde look-alike theme. It's the best I can find. It's clean and simple and functional. There needs to be either more variations on this or something similar that shows real design clout.

Anyone in agreement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

Quote Originally Posted by wladston View Post
    n3tfury, I agree with you. I just think that we should make this procedure easier for the new user, by letting him choose at install time. Most ubuntu users (for example, my mom, and my girlfriend) don't know how to change the theme, or think it's too complicated/difficult.
    Should they even bother using a computer if they can't deduce what the 'Appearance' menu entry might mean? Further still if they seem to have issues after clicking it and can't work out how to change the theme!(It takes two clicks to change a theme in Ubuntu, and around 5 or 6 in Windows)
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by davbren View Post
    ...and so it continues.

The new ubuntu is far slicker than previous versions. I think this is the best yet. However I'm still not wowed by its look. Also I'm not overly impressed with the alternative looks from gnome-look. I'm currently using the kde look-alike theme. It's the best I can find. It's clean and simple and functional. There needs to be either more variations on this or something similar that shows real design clout.

Anyone in agreement?
    S U B J E C T I V E

I was wowed by 'Dust' hence why i'm still using it. Just because you haven't found something you like doesn't mean what's available or around is lacking 'clout'.
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast