View Poll Results: Do you want Intrepid to change Ubuntu's GNOME main theme?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer a redesigned Ubuntu

269 74.10%
  • Yes, I will prefer a Ubuntu desktop that looks more like Windows

9 2.48%
  • Nah, I like brown Human

85 23.42%
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

Quote Originally Posted by wladston View Post
    Irony,
    For you, who loves the brown theme, yeah ... but think about those who don't know about changing themes, and HATE the brown theme, and would be much happier with another shade ...
    For you, it would be just one single "irritating" click, but for a lot of people, it would represent more possibility of choice, personalization, etc..
    But if we changed the brown to blue we'll have to think about the 'poor' people that can't change the theme and despise the blue, as well.

The day canonical begins to listen to those guys that are quick at dismissing something for just the color is the day I'll ditch ubuntu.

To be fair most of those hits are old, the theme has improved. I'd rather have an "ugly brown" than a "copycat blue". And seriously, pick any color but blue and you'll always get complaints, people tend to believe their tastes are some kind of standard in color quality and it is worse when they think that blue is an standard as well...
    Last edited by vexorian; October 26th, 2007 at 12:39 AM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I guess I'm just a "Default" kinda guy - I change my background depending on mood, but everytime I change "themes" from human, I end up putting it back in 10min or less...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Personally, I've liked the brown color scheme ever since I really started looking into using the OS. Brown is a warm, friendly color and, I guess because of that, that's the impression I have of Ubuntu.

That said, I'm actually planning to change it myself at some point once I can learn how to create my own theme and express myself through it. But I'd still like to see the brown as the default theme just because it's very defining.
    Last edited by Nymphadora; October 26th, 2007 at 02:29 AM.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

the default theme makes me want to puke..but lots of people like it, and I don't see why we need to get rid of it when it's so easy to change. Also, you're telling me you've never seen a brown car?!?!

Beans

I Love the Ubuntu Brown... but we need to lose the Gray Panels, Gray Apps...

We should actually have it install with Brown, but also include a theme in Blue, Green, Red, Orange, Yellow, White, and Black... have the matching gtk clearlooks Glossy themes, and the matching metacity theme.

Also include a choice of different color human icon packs, and a few different choices of a glossy panel image.

Then nobody complains, Ubuntu stays true to what it's always been... and people that don't know how to install themes can at least have an easy choice of a few good ones.

P.S.- I've owned two Brown cars. One was a metallic brown, and they other was a light tan, like this forum's color. both had a brown colored interior.
    Last edited by crimesaucer; October 26th, 2007 at 06:01 AM.

Beans

Smile Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

Looks like people agree on something :

* Orange/Brown are Ubuntu colour set identity, and should be kept as a default
    * Different people have different colour tastes - a big % of people dislike the brown on Ubuntu's default theme, specially on the title bar
    *It's desirable to have everyone to love their system colour

So - what do you guys think about my suggestion - provide the human theme on lots of shades (blue, red, green, silver, black, etc.), and give the user the final decision of how is the system colour suposed to be ?
    The brown/yellow can still be the "pre-selected" one, what makes it still be the default theme.

Also, remember to think about the "new" ubuntu users - they don't have the technical skils to go arround the internet, search blue/red/green/black/etc. themes and install it. Most of the "new" users don't even know what is a theme, and that it can be changed .... the portion of then that doesn't like blue just looks at it and sees it as "boring" and "dusty" ...

Imagine people commenting how great the new Ubuntu system is - it can be configured to the colour the user chooses, at install time! Generally when companies do it (for example, ship a product in many colours for you to choose, or gives you more cases when you buy your cellphone, so you can switch them), it becomes a major success...

Beans

The same old recurring discussion! Human is fine, with nice colors. Just pimp the panels a little bit; maybe other orange icons and would be just perfect. We don't need another Luna theme!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Yes and no, although a much darker would actually suit better I think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am not a fan of the default brown theme, but customizing the colours and the look and feel is very easy.

Ubuntu works great on my computer, but there are ofcourse bugs, and fixing those is infinitely more important than having the default colors changed...
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

We don't have to lose the brown/orange entirely - just go more towards the orange than the brown (but still keep hints of brown).

This is the plan for Hardy (along with blackish panels).
    UPDATED>>Check out my Theme and Wallpaper. Both are still in-progress

Not a CAD professional - just an enthusiast

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast