Thread: Ubuntu GTK1.2 Remix

Hybrid View

Ubuntu GTK1.2 Remix

Hi. I put together a Hardy live CD (using some of the links in the sticky at the top of this forum, by the way ) that uses only GTK1.2 software, and I thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested. It's nothing earth-shattering, but if you're working on an old machine that can boot from CD, it might be a curiosity. There are lots of better live CDs out there.

In short, you get IceWM-lite, Dillo, Sylpheed-GTK1, emelFM and gtkedit, with a process viewer and an image viewer. It's exceedingly sparse, but kind of quirky. It's also prewired with some speed tweaks, which is either good or bad.

More information:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/09...u-gtk12-remix/
    http://kmandla.wordpress.com/ubuntu-gtk12-remix/

Don't bother telling me if you don't like it or think it pointless; I made it for me, not you.

On the other hand, if you have a suggestion (outside of changing the theme ... ) I'm willing to listen. Don't expect much though; I'm not in the business of masterminding distros.

Cheers!
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu GTK1.2 Remix

Most sub-300MHz computers don't have 128MB RAM, might want to reduce it to 32Mb or 16MB of RAM.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Good point. I was eyeballing those numbers against that 450Mhz machine I used to experiment upon, and it had 256Mb. But you're right, that was probably an upgrade. Thanks!

Beans

*downloads* Can't wait to test this out, it looks very interesting

Don't get too excited. It's not that great ...

I've found a few rough edges that I need to fix this weekend, but other than that it seems to work fine for the few people that have given me feedback. If you do try it, at least tell me if it worked.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Works fabulously! Whatever "rough edges" might exists, I haven't really found any to complain about. I was wondering when somebody would come along and do this. I never had the time myself, and I'm glad this remix exists. Thanks!
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7