Thread: [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

I just bought a book from Audible.com and was disappointed to find out I needed a windows program to download it. However I found a way to download it without their program! Here is how...

First purchase the book you want. Then go to "My Library".

Click on "Stream" under "Download It" Save the .pl file.

Open the .pl file in the text editor. You will find something like this
    Code:
    <ASX VERSION="3.0">
    <Title>Brisingr (Unabridged) Part 4</TITLE>
    <ENTRY>
    <ref href="http://cdl.audible.com/cgi-bin/aw_assemble_title_dynamic.aa/BK_LILI_000762dmp332.aa?stuff about your account here fas;dlfilasddk" />
    <MOREINFO href="http://www.audible.com" />
    <TITLE>Brisingr (Unabridged) Part 4</TITLE>
    <AUTHOR>Christopher Paolini</AUTHOR>
    <COPYRIGHT>Audible, Inc.</COPYRIGHT>
    </ENTRY>
    </ASX>
    Copy the URL,
    Code:
    http://cdl.audible.com/cgi-bin/aw_assemble_title_dynamic.aa/BK_LILI_000762dmp332.aa?stuff about your account here fas;dlfilasddk
    Past it into FireFox and you will download the .aa file! It is that easy.

I don't think you can play the .aa files on Ubuntu but you should be able to play them on your mp3 player.

Good luck,
    Justin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

well, if mp3 codecs are downloaded for ubuntu it should work!

Did you write to the company and tell them your fix? I think we need to pressure companies to make downloads linux compatible as many don't even think of it. This would be simple for them to do now you have the fix as well! Well done!
    Dual Bt:XP/Karmic:dell Inspiron 1520(32bit):Intel Core 2 Duo T7250(2.0GHz/4MB L2 Cache):NVIDIA GeForce8600M GT 256MB:3GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz:160GB SATA5400RPM:Widescrn(1680x1050):8x CD/DVD burner(DVD+/-RW)Dble Layer Support:Wireless-Intel 4965AGN

Beans
    Distro

I think that they would be aware of the fix. The problem is you need to make your mp3 player authorized to play the files. I ended up just downloading the mp3 from a torrent. The .aa files have DRM and you can't just play them...

I believe people were able to run their program under wine and link up with it but not download the files, now they can.

Beans

Talking Re: [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

Thanks for this tip Commander Bob. I just recently purchased a book from audible.com and was disappointed when I could not download it. I wrote an e-mail to their help dept. but never got a response. I followed your directions and the book playes perfectly on my mp3 player!!

Beans
    Distro

That's great! Mine said I need to connect it to my computer. I too contacted the customer support and I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Audible Customer Support
    Dear Justin,

Thank you for contacting Audible.com. On its behalf, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience and I am most committed to satisfying and resolving your inquiry to the fullest of my abilities.

I have read your email inquiring how to install the Audible Software on a Unix computer.
    Unfortunately the Unix Operating System is not supported by audible. There are no announced plans on if or when it will be supported.

I would like to take some time to thank you for being a much valued customer of Audible.com. Thank you so much for your support!
    I hope I have met all your needs and requests, as it has been a pleasure assisting you today. In addition if my assistance provided to you as a customer was a positive experience, please fill out an E-Survey that may possibly be sent to your email address.

Have a nice day!

Here at Audible, we truly value and appreciate your business; if you need further assistance, please respond to this email or if you wish, please provide me with a contact number and the best available time to reach you.

For additional questions, how to contact us and hours of operation, please visit us at: www.audible.com/contactus

Sincerely,
    Regina
    Audible Customer Support
    I filled out the survey telling them how happy I was that they don't support Linux.
    You would think something like downloading a book would be easy enough to support all systems... I download music from Amazon all the time with no problems, they even have a Linux downloader!
    Last edited by Commander_Bob; October 11th, 2008 at 05:12 AM.

Beans

I don't really know much about computers, so a couple of questions:
    a) how do you open a file in the text editor?
    and,
    b) is the text editor Terminal? Or is it something else?

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.