Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

The download file, aw_dhelper.pl now looks like:
    (I've substituted <ALL_CAPS> for fields, account numbers, etc.)

user_id=<USER>&product_id=<PRODUCT_ID>&order_numbe r=<ORDER_NUMBER>&agg_id=&awtype=&title=<TITLE>&ass emble_url=http://cdl.audible.com/cgi-bin/aw_assemble_title.pl&cleanup_url=http://cdl.audible.com/cgi-bin/aw_cleanup_title.pl&size=<SIZE>&DownloadType=Now&d omain=www.audible.com&codec=mp332&transfer_player= 1&browser_type=

I'm not trying to bypass DRM or download anything that I haven't purchased. I just don't want to have to run Windows just to download content that I've purchased!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Arrow Re: [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

it may not hurt to visit this link

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answ...linux/r_id/166

I have been sending them an email or feedback once a month since installing Ubuntu and this month did both after finding this link in another search.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
    SO, how did this work out?
    Obviously had no effect what so ever.

Beans

Smile Re: [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

Huge thank you to Commander_Bob for this tip - you're an absolute star!

I cancelled my membership with Audible when I moved over to Linux about three years ago. It's their lost revenue, especially now Ubuntu is spreading like wildfire - I have even converted my computer illiterate eldest daughter over to a simplified Linux desktop!

I can now buy an occasional bargain - without a membership - and use an old windows machine to get it onto my iPod. So this is from me to Audible bye for good (pun intended)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I just bought some audio books from audible, and it started directly downloading the .aa files. I think they might have taken linux into consideration now. That, or they supported chrome or something...
    Windows OS: $100-$300, Ubuntu: $0.00
    Windows OS: Closed Source and private, Ubuntu: Community Developed
    now why is windows still around?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

NEW SOLUTION!!!

Okay, just figured this out. This should work with all browsers and operating systems.

Here's how to download an Audible file you've already purchased without Audible Manager:

1) Download the helper file. This is the file that is downloaded when you click the "Download" button in "My Library". The file name of that file will be "admhelper". Open it in a simple text editor, like gedit or Notepad. The contents will look like this:

user_id={YOUR USERNAME}&cust_id={YOUR CUSTOMER ID}&product_id={PRODUCT ID}&asin=&codec=LC_64_22050_stereo&awtype=AAX&source= audible_adm&title={BOOK TITLE}&assemble_url=http://cds.audible.com/download&order_number={ORDER NUMBER}&size=&domain=www.audible.com&transfer_player=1&br owser_type=
    2) Go to the actual Audible.com bookstore page for the exact book you are trying to download. Look at the URL:

http://www.audible.com/pd?asin={ASIN}
    3) You now have the information you need. Specifically, you need the username you log in with (probably your email address), the Product ID, that ASIN (which is like an ISBN) from the bookstore page, and your Order Number. Now plug the above information EXACTLY into the correct places in the URL below:

http://cds.audible.com/download/cgi-bin/aw_assemble_title_dynamic.aa/{PRODUCT ID}dmp332.aa?asin={ASIN}&user_id={YOUR USERNAME}&codec=LC_64_22050_stereo&awtype=AAX&source=audibl e_adm&order_number={ORDER NUMBER}
    IMPORTANT!! Check your final URL thoroughly for random spaces. For some reason, the forums occasionally insert stray spaces where they shouldn't be. Your final download URL should not contain any spaces.

4) Once you have your new download link, make sure you are logged in to Audible.com and paste your download link into your browser's address bar and go! The download should commence immediately.

NOTE: This does not remove the DRM protection.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: [SOLVED] HOW TO download books from Audible.com

Here's a quick Excel function I've created to partially automate the creation of the working download link. I realize this may not be that helpful to many of you (because you are looking for a Linux-only solution), but I don't have the time to work out a perl script, or HTML file with javascript, or something, to do this.

1) Drop the contents of the file "admhelper" into cell A1 of a new spreadsheet.
    2) Drop the bookstore page link to the actual book you are trying to download into cell A2.
    3) Paste the following function into cell A3:
    Code:
    =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("http://cds.audible.com/download/cgi-bin/aw_assemble_title_dynamic.aa/",MID(A1,SEARCH("product_id=",A1)+11,SEARCH("&",A1,SEARCH("product_id=",A1))-SEARCH("product_id=",A1)-11),"dmp332.aa?asin=",MID(B1,SEARCH("asin=",B1)+5,SEARCH("&",B1,SEARCH("asin=",B1))-SEARCH("asin=",B1)-5),"&user_id=",MID(A1,SEARCH("user_id=",A1)+8,SEARCH("&",A1,SEARCH("user_id=",A1))-(SEARCH("user_id=",A1)+8)),"&codec=LC_64_22050_stereo&awtype=AAX&source=audible_adm&order_number=",MID(A1,SEARCH("order_number=",A1)+13,SEARCH("&",A1,SEARCH("order_number=",A1))-SEARCH("order_number=",A1)-13)))
    4) Be sure you are logged in to Audible.com, then click the new link in cell A3 or copy its new contents into your browser. The download should begin immediately.
    Last edited by davegregg; May 26th, 2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Updated the Excel function to actually form a hyperlink in cell A3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by davegregg View Post
    NEW SOLUTION!!!
    {deletia}

NOTE: This does not remove the DRM protection.
    Is there any simple way to play these?

I do not desire to remove the DRM I would be content with a simple desktop player solution but would love to be able to take my already purchased books on my new mp3 device (not iJunk or MS-junk but a simple mp3/ogg/etc. player which talks to any USB connection or an addon micro SD card to play everything I have tried so far except audible).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've been trying to listen to the Samuel L. Jackson recording of Go the F*** to Sleep for a month now. I emailed their customer service and chided them, but I think it'll fall on deaf ears. I think it's about the perception that "If we make our codec available for an open source OS, then everybody will have the keys to our content and our DRM won't be worth anything any more".

Beans

Well then we'll need to convince them that software running on open source can be closed source, so it's the same in the end in terms of security.

I use the BlackBerry app now, which means you buy online and download and listen from the phone. Any Android and the iPhone should also have an app (which looks a bit nicer ). Otherwise, with audiobooks being a good couple of hours, having to boot windows to copy them to my mp3 player now and then is not too much hassle. Ultimately though, there's no excuse, we need a linux app.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast