Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new install problems

Beans

new install problems

hi all, totally new to linux, but my wife's computer has taken a massive dump and am trying to get it up and running again. she's got xp and a buncha viruses/trojans/spyware that we just can't kill.

we don't have an xp disc (cheap azz dell, thx) so i've followed the n00b instructions to get linux (https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/installing.html) and burn a CD.

however, when i tried to burn it using Infra Recorder i couldn't find an ISO image per the instructions and had to burn it using the 'burn the compilation to a physical disc' option. this disc doesn't seem to be giving me any of the prompts i'm looking for from the previous listed tutorials. when i enter setup/bios and boot from CD i just go straight to XP. i can install ubuntu as a regular app, but it doesn't seem like it will overwrite XP or offer partitions. i cancelled it before completion, awaiting some knowledgable advice.

my goal is to use the disc at boot to reformat (and destroy XP) with ubuntu.

sorry for the huge 1st post. hopefully someone can give me some tips here...

thanks alot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: new install problems

did you download a 'live CD' ???
    did you change the first boot device to CD-ROM Drive ???
    when you look at the CD through windows, do you see lots of files or one file ending in '.iso' ???
    Code:
    make me a sandwich
            no, make it yourself
    sudo make me a sandwich
            ok then...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't own a Dell. However, some laptops require that you press (for example F2 or Del) to enter a boot option screen. Then from there you would select to boot from CD. That is definitely the easiest way to eliminate your xp from the laptop because you will have the option to tell Ubuntu Installation to use the whole disk instead of Dual Booting (thereby eliminating your xp install). I hope this helps. If not, feel free to post your computer model, maybe I could explain in more detail.

Huge post? You ain't seen nothin yet

Anyway! Sounds like maybe you didn't burn the ISO to your disc correctly to me. When I tried to make a disc with Infra it didn't work either. I think I ended up getting "ISO Recorder" online and used that to properly burn my ubuntu .ISO to the disc. If it did burn properly... I don't know I'm still a linux-n00b too! But with my disc when I do boot from CD from the bios menu it brings up a screen that says "Ubuntu" and

Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer
    Install Ubuntu
    Check Disk for defects
    Test Memory

If you didn't see that maybe the disc wasn't burned right?

Beans

I have no experience with 'Infra Recorder', but I can point you to an excellent light-weight ISO burner for Windows, which you can use to burn an Ubuntu ISO to CD.

1. Download an Ubuntu install disk from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    2. Install ISO Recorder from http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
    3. After installation, right-click on the ISO file and burn.
    4. Boot from this CD, using the correct boot order options in your BIOS.

5. Good luck!

Beans

What brand/name is your BIOS? Does it have any boot options?
    You Rock and You Rule!
    Fedora 15
    Ubuntu SC Team Leader

Beans

wow! this forum is busy and helpful.

ok, my download gave me a winRAR with a wide selection of folders and a coupla apps to include an exe. it was supposed to be an ISO but i guess i somehow picked a bad mirror or something. i'm trying a 2nd download from a different mirror. this one is also named an ISO so with any luck...

as for setup/bios stuff, that should've been fine. i went into the boot order and setup to ONLY boot from CD, but i got a message that there were no boot resources available.

hope the new d'load fixes things. i'll update if all is well or, if not, i'll cry like a little girl some more...

thanks all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you got viruses on that machine, you might want to burn the iso on a different one because some viruses will get into everything that moves, including an iso.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by sanchezero View Post
    hi all, totally new to linux, but my wife's computer has taken a massive dump and am trying to get it up and running again. she's got xp and a buncha viruses/trojans/spyware that we just can't kill.

we don't have an xp disc (cheap azz dell, thx) so i've followed the n00b instructions to get linux (https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/installing.html) and burn a CD.

however, when i tried to burn it using Infra Recorder i couldn't find an ISO image per the instructions and had to burn it using the 'burn the compilation to a physical disc' option. this disc doesn't seem to be giving me any of the prompts i'm looking for from the previous listed tutorials. when i enter setup/bios and boot from CD i just go straight to XP. i can install ubuntu as a regular app, but it doesn't seem like it will overwrite XP or offer partitions. i cancelled it before completion, awaiting some knowledgable advice.

my goal is to use the disc at boot to reformat (and destroy XP) with ubuntu.

sorry for the huge 1st post. hopefully someone can give me some tips here...

thanks alot!
    if you didn't get a recovery cd with your new computer, it most likely has a restore partition. read the owners manual. when it boots it should say something like press f11 for recovery (example).

Beans

ya, i'm doing all the work on my gateway.

the 2nd download was the same as the 1st. there's a folder in the mix called isolinux but nothing shows up using infrarecorder. guess it's time to try a new burner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast