for checker, Bucheckern is suggested
    for seems, seemäßig is suggested
    for German, Germane is suggested
    for dictionary, direktional is suggested
    for Examples, Examples is suggested
    for of, Hof is suggested
    for suggested, suggestiv is suggested
    for spellings Sperlings is suggested

Ok, enough fun with this How do I fix it? My english spelling is bad enough that it will be a public service for me to have a functioning english spell checker.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: I don't speak German

The spell checker where? OpenOffice, Firefox, etc...?
    ASUS M2A-MVP, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+, 3 Gb DDR2 800Mhz, GeForce 8600GT XXX Edition, Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Good Point, I am not sure where the spell checker resides, but it only happens when I use my dell 1535 Ubuntu computer to make a post.

I just tested it on another non ubuntu site and it is happening there, so concieveably it is the linux version of Firefox running under ubuntu as installed on this computer. However, I have no idea how it came about as it was not a problem at first. I have been trying to install Thunderbird and there were a bunch of thunderbird related language locale files that were inadvertantly installed and subsequently removed, but I am not aware that any of them were German.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dgoddard1 View Post
    Good Point, I am not sure where the spell checker resides, but it only happens when I use my dell 1535 Ubuntu computer to make a post.

I just tested it on another non ubuntu site and it is happening there, so concieveably it is the linux version of Firefox running under ubuntu as installed on this computer. However, I have no idea how it came about as it was not a problem at first. I have been trying to install Thunderbird and there were a bunch of thunderbird related language locale files that were inadvertantly installed and subsequently removed, but I am not aware that any of them were German.
    Firefox has a spell checker. That is what they were asking.

Edit->Preferences

To to Content -> Languages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can install new dictionary for Mozilla Firefox by going to Mozilla's Add-on website.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

Just download the English Dictionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu27 View Post
    You can install new dictionary for Mozilla Firefox by going to Mozilla's Add-on website.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

Just download the English Dictionary
    Tried that as well as the suggestion to go to edit-preferences-content-languages Neither of these has worked. even restarted fire fox and when that did not work restarted the computer. No change.

This all started when I tried to load thunderbird, accidently loaded the thunderbird language locale package for british english and then removed the packages that were installed. So It might be a little deeper than just getting the right dictionary. Just installing the english dictionary from the mozilla site did not seem to get the job done, so it must be something else.

Anybody got any suggestions?