Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry, it's me again. Language menu comes up over booting menu

Beans

Question Sorry, it's me again. Language menu comes up over booting menu

Sorry folks, it's me again. *sigh*

I've manged to get the system to boot from the Ubuntu CD, but when I get to the installation menu (ie Install Ubuntu, check CD for errors etc) the language menu comes up without promting and won't go away or let me select any of the options.

There's a countdown on the left handside - once that finishes it says the kernal is installing, then it gets to a screen saying Ubuntu - for about 10 minutes. After this, all sorts of weird and wonderful things happen - apart from Ubuntu actually installing!

I've tried to start again by reloading windows (it's on an internal disc on my machine, an Iqon), but the F10 button to do this at startup won't work.

Halp?

Edit: I meant to say I have a version of Ubuntu that I downloaded from the website, as well as the CD that was sent to me from Ubuntu. Both are having this problem.
    Last edited by Moll; September 27th, 2008 at 09:41 PM. Reason: more info added

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Sorry, it's me again. Language menu comes up over booting menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post

I've manged to get the system to boot from the Ubuntu CD, but when I get to the installation menu (ie Install Ubuntu, check CD for errors etc) the language menu comes up without promting and won't go away or let me select any of the options.

There's a countdown on the left handside - once that finishes it says the kernal is installing, then it gets to a screen saying Ubuntu - for about 10 minutes. After this, all sorts of weird and wonderful things happen - apart from Ubuntu actually installing.

I've tried to start again by reloading windows (it's on an internal disc on my machine, an Iqon), but the F10 button to do this at startup won't work.

Halp?
    It's ok that's why we are here, now then, can you hit enter on any of the languages? If it does load up, what does it load in to? The desktop? If so you would just double click install, it will install and restart and make sure the disc is out of the drive. Maybe I have misunderstood?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post

There's a countdown on the left handside - once that finishes it says the kernal is installing, then it gets to a screen saying Ubuntu - for about 10 minutes. After this, all sorts of weird and wonderful things happen - apart from Ubuntu actually installing!

Halp?

Edit: I meant to say I have a version of Ubuntu that I downloaded from the website, as well as the CD that was sent to me from Ubuntu. Both are having this problem.
    Like the first screenshot here:

http://www.herman.linuxmaniac.net/p24.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by perlluver View Post
    It's ok that's why we are here, now then, can you hit enter on any of the languages? If it does load up, what does it load in to? The desktop? If so you would just double click install, it will install and restart and make sure the disc is out of the drive. Maybe I have misunderstood?

No, the enter and up and down keys don't work. English is highlighted, but I can't hit enter and escape. I've no idea if or where it's installing, as after the Ubuntu screen with the progress bar it goes into a screen full of BIOS style coding (black screen with white script).

It also sometimes comes up with a box about the screen resolution, I've clicked each different option each time with no difference. The sudo command also comes up with the ubuntu@ubunto part too.

Beans

Double posting only causes confusion:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=931592

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ok then, my second question is what are the specs on your PC? Video Card, Memory, and such.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Like the first screenshot here:

http://www.herman.linuxmaniac.net/p24.html

That's it exactly! But it won't let me scroll or hit any of the F buttons.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Double posting only causes confusion:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=931592

Thanks for letting me know - I've marked that thread as solved, now, to avoid any further confusion!

Beans

OK, in that same tutorial (as I said before I'm using that only for the screen shots) do you never get to the second screen shot?

Where you have thew choice of checking CD for defects?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by perlluver View Post
    Ok then, my second question is what are the specs on your PC? Video Card, Memory, and such.
    This is basically my next question. Do you know your system specs?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast