Thread: upgrade to hardy doesn't give me firefox3

Beans

upgrade to hardy doesn't give me firefox3

i just upgraded to hardy heron, but i don't get firefox3.

via synaptic, i've uninstalled (completely) firefox, then rebooted, then reinstalled the base package (firefox) which auto-required firefox-3.0. i also installed firefox-3.0-gnome-support since i run gnome. however, when i launch firefox, then check Help>About Mozilla FireFox... i still get Firefox/2.0.0.14.

what's up with that?

i suppose i'd be happy to install firefox from tarball, but i'd like to make the package work. any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: upgrade to hardy doesn't give me firefox3

Have you checked the repositories? Open synaptic and go to repositories. You should have hardy enabled to be able to install firefox 3.

Beans

yeah, i know that i needed hardy to get firefox 3... prior to my move to hardy, that firefox update just hung there and wouldn't let me act upon since i hadn't upgraded.

i've checked the repositories, and turned a few more things on in the updates tab (namely pre-release), but that didn't seem to help. did you have something specific that i should check in the repositories area?

again, i see the firefox-3.0 packages, and synaptic doesn't bark when i install them... it's just after the process, it still launches into firefox-1.0.

i do have a /usr/bin/firefox and /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu... but they both launch firefox 2.0.

Beans

after complete removal of all synaptic firefox packages, i still had /usr/lib/firefox, /usr/bin/firefox, /opt/firefox, /usr/share/firefox and /etc/firefox. i'm guessing that i sleep-installed firefox from tarball at some point and forgot about it.

i moved all those directories/files to firefox.bak, then reinstalled from synaptic... and everything seems good. all i had to do was re-symlink /usr/bin/firefox to /usr/bin/firefox-3.0.

hope that helps someone down the line.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. Before I head down your path, what did you do to your bookmarks, etc. before you removed firefox