Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 10 amazingly alternative operating systems...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 10 amazingly alternative operating systems...

Quote Originally Posted by Olhado View Post
    But free and open software always will be worse that commercial. Because our modern world is build on commercial rules

Developers of free software can make excellent work and worthwhile product (Ubuntu is a bright example). But they has no profit of their work, so they has less stimulus to keep on their cause.

Commercial software developers has. So their product always will have more quality. Maybe not in one point - then in another. And generally commercial software always will be in leaders. Always. And nothing can change it.
    You have much to learn about "free" and "open source", and how they fit in the commercial playing field.

Note the "commercial rules" you mentioned include provisions for a thing called competition and another thing called choice.

Linux, and much of the software that is written for it, fills a niche. Only in "recent" times has Linux emerged at all as a player in the Desktop market, while Linux and BSD have quite an established presence in the server market and related fields. These systems are free, but often times the support or certification to accompany them is sold commercially (Red Hat and Novell are two major players in this). While Linux may not have the "market share" that Windows or OS X have, that fact in no way should determine the quality of the software written for it. This is a completely subjective matter.

Some find Windows better than OS X, some find Linux better than both. Some find IE better than Firefox, some don't. Some find GNOME better than KDE, some don't. Some find hot dogs better than sausages, some don't. See where this is going? "Better", in general, is a subjective matter, a matter of opinion.

Try not to make blanket statements regarding subjective matters. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but these should not be espoused as fact. Peace.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thelasko View Post
    I just played around with MenuetOS last night under VirtualBox. It would run fine for about a minute and then the mouse would go crazy (anything I did made it go right) and the whole OS became slower. (memory leak?)

I think there are other programs available for it if you download the CD (perhaps even a web browser) but I never got that far. I find their website very confusing. It seems they want you to use 64-bit only. Unfortunately, my version of VirtualBox can't run 64-bit guests (the new one does, but I'm not about to mess with it). No way am I loading an alpha OS on my main box to run 64-bit. Besides, my machine doesn't even have a floppy drive.
    This is an issue with VirtualBox. I had that problem when trying it on one of my machines with VirtualBox. On VMware Workstation, the mouse is fine.
    "The Map is Not the Territory" - Alfred Korzybski

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The way I see is like this. All new OS that appear are smaller so it seems very fast. But when adding support for different hardware, new features etc.. it use more RAM and more CPU. Linux have 9 mil of code, XP around 35 and Vista around 40. It seems when Linux come to 40 mil it will be slow fat ******* like vista. Sorry for being offensive truthful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by moster View Post
    The way I see is like this. All new OS that appear are smaller so it seems very fast. But when adding support for different hardware, new features etc.. it use more RAM and more CPU. Linux have 9 mil of code, XP around 35 and Vista around 40. It seems when Linux come to 40 mil it will be slow fat ******* like vista. Sorry for being offensive truthful
    Wrong, Linux has 9 million lines of code, but that includes all the different CPU's it can run on, all the drivers it may need on all the different hardware it can run on, you do not use them all on your machine. Also, you can compile your own kernel in Linux and remove all the drivers you don't need, the GPL means this will always be the case.

Windows will always be the size it is because we can't recompile just the bits we need.

So not only where you offensive, but totally wrong!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by YeOK View Post
    Wrong, Linux has 9 million lines of code, but that includes all the different CPU's it can run on, all the drivers it may need on all the different hardware it can run on, you do not use them all on your machine. Also, you can compile your own kernel in Linux and remove all the drivers you don't need, the GPL means this will always be the case.

Windows will always be the size it is because we can't recompile just the bits we need.

So not only where you offensive, but totally wrong!
    This not suppose to be ofensive. I want to believe you are right. But what is in that windows 35 mil of code if 9 mil is just fine. They did not just crap 25 mil of code extra. I know you probably do not know answer, but take a guess if you want.

Beans

I'm afraid our opinions are fundamentally different Or I don't understand some things in full.
    No one understands things in full.

Of course, Nobody can stop people from creating and trying to make world better with free and open software.
    & why would anyone ever want to stop people from doing that?

But free and open software always will be worse that commercial. Because our modern world is build on commercial rules
    Commercial rules are the prime reason our world is dying. Before these commercial rules existed there were other rules, after commercial rules are gone there will exist different rules. Commercial rules have given us nothing to be proud of, most especially the inequitable distribution of wealth on this planet & all that, that stands for.

There is a great deal of software that is of superior quality to, or has no competition in the commercial software worlds.

Developers of free software can make excellent work and worthwhile product (Ubuntu is a bright example). But they has no profit of their work, so they has less stimulus to keep on their cause.
    I read recently that Canonical are just about at break even point, due to the service contracts they sell. Red Hat make money. Most of the internet servers on the planet are running Linux, & the free product Apache.

Commercial software developers has. So their product always will have more quality. Maybe not in one point - then in another. And generally commercial software always will be in leaders. Always. And nothing can change it.
    Again, I disagree with you, & know that this debate will not change either of our minds, so it is wise to agree to disagree my friend, & leave it at that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by moster View Post
    This not suppose to be ofensive. I want to believe you are right. But what is in that windows 35 mil of code if 9 mil is just fine. They did not just crap 25 mil of code extra. I know you probably do not know answer, but take a guess if you want.
    The 35 million lines of windows code is backward compatibility, very few drivers and also counting the GUI code, where as the 9 million lines of code for the Linux kernel is just the core of the kernel and a lot of drivers, plus about 30% is for different types of CPU (not counting the X server, GNOME etc etc). Linux will run on more types of CPU than any other operating system around. Including windows.

Linux is just a kernel, don't forget about all the GNU code that makes up Ubuntu or any other Linux distro, thats not included in the 9 million lines of code you quoted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by YeOK View Post
    The 35 million lines of windows code is backward compatibility, very few drivers and also counting the GUI code, where as the 9 million lines of code for the Linux kernel is just the core of the kernel and a lot of drivers, plus about 30% is for different types of CPU (not counting the X server, GNOME etc etc). Linux will run on more types of CPU than any other operating system around. Including windows.

Linux is just a kernel, don't forget about all the GNU code that makes up Ubuntu or any other Linux distro, thats not included in the 9 million lines of code you quoted.
    Ok, thanks for answer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

AROS is the most efficient os I've used. It's user friendly and stable. ReactOS? Good project, if they don't get sued...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxisevolution View Post
    ReactOS? Good project, if they don't get sued...
    Read the Internal Audit. Microsoft would get laughed out of court anyway.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910