Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 amazingly alternative operating systems...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: 10 amazingly alternative operating systems...

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
    Is that the AmigaOS default background? WHO THE HELL picked that?
    I can assure you that's not the default background.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkHm8uUuT0o
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    No root user? The horror! What is this, Windows? (Unless I'm mistaken in my interpretation of what you said.)

I'm not being sarcastic, by the way.
    I think Plan 9 uses a sudo-like system (people in a certain group are allowed to give themselves 'God' priveliges). There's just no separate superuser.
    Jonathan Rothwell
    (Still waiting for my cheque from $CORPORATION for shilling)
    HTML5 is not a drop-in replacement for Flash. This does not mean that Flash is A Good Thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does anyone have any experience with ReactOS? My 19yo is finally fed up with vista and wants to try something else. Trouble is she needs Office 2007 for school. So I'm wondering if React might work for her?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with ReactOS? My 19yo is finally fed up with vista and wants to try something else. Trouble is she needs Office 2007 for school. So I'm wondering if React might work for her?
    ReactOS is very alpha. It also supports less Windows apps than WINE on Linux.

Beans
    Distro

I've used it. It's far from ready. You look at it wrong and it bluescreens. Your best bet is Ubuntu and Wine.

The question is, does she really need Office 2007, or do they just say that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Office 2007 works with WINE.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Thelasko View Post
    The question is, does she really need Office 2007, or do they just say that?
    I'm not you, ginnie6, and I'm certainly not your daughter, but I am a student. In my 6 years at various universities I have been told "You need MS Office 2003/2007". Not once has anyone said anything about me using OpenOffice. Unless she's using it for a class, in which case Thelasko's like should get you going in the right direction. Good luck!
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, sometimes the school recommends using MS Office because the Office file types are approved for turning in term papers, etc. Open Office can read and write those, so no one will ever know she isn't using Office.

However, I know the business school at my university had entire semesters devoted to learning Excel and Word. (can you imagine that? What a waste of time and money!) If that is the case, there is no way around running Office.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thelasko View Post
    However, I know the business school at my university had entire semesters devoted to learning Excel and Word. (can you imagine that? What a waste of time and money!)
    That should be optional and not worth any credit. Some people actually need something like this as they are basically clueless when it comes to computers. I saw this when I was studying years back. Back then they taught us DOS & batch files etc, some crappy dos text editor & some dos schematic programs for Electronics. I never paid attention, my Amiga did all this stuff in a easy to use windows environment. I spend most of my time in class playing on a IBM RS6000 box running AIX

Beans

I just found an old cd with BeOS Personal Edition on it, might give it a spin.

Pity the Amiga hardware is so expensive. Apparently you can get the OS to run on a mac mini though.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast