Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 amazingly alternative operating systems...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 10 amazingly alternative operating systems...

ILM (George Lucas) still had Silicon Graphics stations (along with Sun workstations that do a lot of their general computing) up until I left Marin and retired 15 years ago .. no one wanted to buy them and a VERY high percentage of their work was shifting over to Video Toaster. It is my understanding from friends inside that when Pixar spun off from the parent company and went indi, they chose Video Toaster as well.
    The dominant machine in the computer room at Skywalker ranch was, at one time, Sun. They even NAMED them!! (yep, R2D2, Chewey, C3PO, and so on.) (stupid room was an OVEN if you did not keep the vent fans on constantly .. got even worse under the floor in the wire crawl area (4' high! used mechanics creepers to get around under there).
    Once I got their fiber optic network installed, SOME of the heat went away, but the multiplexers still generated some heat!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you talking hardware only? As I understand it, Pixar uses software created in house.

Beans

Re: hi

Donation links
    Free hardware
    Petition for free drivers
    If every forum member donated $1 to FSF, they would almost double their income

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

nice link

menuet os looks interesting, anyone tried it and care to comment?
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro

Yes, the hardware. but the creation stuff still has to work off of a framework of some kind. Really not sure at all as when I was in Marin, Pixar was a medical imaging company. Their first "animation" programs involved animating MRI images (they did one for my back) and those ran on a Windows based PC (since that was the most common in hospitals). That is why the split off from Lucas Film in the first place as their target was completely different. Only after the split did they get into theatrical animation.
    They still ARE a medical imaging company.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sounds like the Pixar Image Computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Kolibri OS is a fork of Menuet OS, both seem to be pretty good.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

One of the commenters mentioned KolibriOS, which I downloaded and tried. It's pretty stunning what they fit on a 1.4 MB floppy image. It kind of puts DSL with its 50 MB image to shame. Still, I doubt too many programmers want to write everything in assembly.

I couldn't get it to connect to the network in qemu, though. Neat proof of concept, at least.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    One of the commenters mentioned KolibriOS, which I downloaded and tried. It's pretty stunning what they fit on a 1.4 MB floppy image. It kind of puts DSL with its 50 MB image to shame. Still, I doubt too many programmers want to write everything in assembly.

I couldn't get it to connect to the network in qemu, though. Neat proof of concept, at least.
    Hm, at least it runs on actual hardware too
    The only problem is that a lot of them don't have such great or modern web browsers, if at all.
    This is an essential application to today's operating systems, alternative or not.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro

Thelasco, thanks for the update on that. As noted, I left the area in 1994 and other than seeing an animated picture of my own back on the unit at Marin General Hospital several years earlier, never had much contact with them .. ILM and Lucas Film, on the other hand helped pay the rent for me now and then!!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast