Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My favourite feature..

Beans

My favourite feature..

Well, I've been using linux for about 3 years or so but today I noticed a very simple feature I hadn't seen before and it made me go "coooooool".

Like you can preview thumbnails of photos, I noticed you can preview songs by hovering the mouse over them. Sounds stupid, but I had never noticed this before and I really like it as a feature. Is it new, or have I been very blind/deaf?

Any other cool features people have been suprised by when using Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: My favourite feature..

its been there since i started using ubuntu (Breezy i think), and i agree, it is a very cool feature
    ======================================
    Explosion at pie factory in Huddersfield.
    3.14159265 confirmed dead !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Another cool little feature is this: if you're downloading a song, and it's say at 20%, you can open it in totem, and it'll show it's like 30 seconds long; once it hits 30 seconds, it'll check again, and extend the length according to the downloaded part. All of this seamlessly, without you even noticing. )
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are already in your head.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Tadhg View Post
    Well, I've been using linux for about 3 years or so but today I noticed a very simple feature I hadn't seen before and it made me go "coooooool".

Like you can preview thumbnails of photos, I noticed you can preview songs by hovering the mouse over them. Sounds stupid, but I had never noticed this before and I really like it as a feature. Is it new, or have I been very blind/deaf?

Any other cool features people have been suprised by when using Linux?
    I showed my husband this neat little trick after reading about it and he adores it.

You can adjust the settings for it so it will preview networked files in the same manner by opening your nautilus preferences and then under the preview tab, just look at the sound files section.
    Last edited by Ms_Angel_D; September 29th, 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spellchecking...

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans

I remember this feature in Red Hat 8. It is pretty cool.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    its been there since i started using ubuntu (Breezy i think), and i agree, it is a very cool feature
    Only if you had mpg123 installed. In GNOME 2.22, they replaced it with a part of Totem (totem-audio-preview).
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i never remember it till i double click a song and dont move the mouse and i have two of the same song playing with a second or 2 between the tracks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SupaSonic View Post
    Another cool little feature is this: if you're downloading a song, and it's say at 20%, you can open it in totem, and it'll show it's like 30 seconds long; once it hits 30 seconds, it'll check again, and extend the length according to the downloaded part. All of this seamlessly, without you even noticing. )

Downloading how?

Torrent? Nutella P2P? HTTP/FTP? instantaneous-teleportation-between-alpha-and-beta?
    lolwut

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by master5o1 View Post
    Downloading how?

Torrent? Nutella P2P? HTTP/FTP? instantaneous-teleportation-between-alpha-and-beta?
    http, ftp probably works too. P2P doesn't usually download in the same order it's supposed to be played afaik.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are already in your head.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    Only if you had mpg123 installed. In GNOME 2.22, they replaced it with a part of Totem (totem-audio-preview).
    i did have mpg123 installed back then, but didnt realise that was responsible for it. thanks bruce, good to know
    Explosion at pie factory in Huddersfield.
    3.14159265 confirmed dead !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast