Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ugraded wicd - no internet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

ugraded wicd - no internet

One of the upgrades to be installed this morning was wicd. During the installation, I received three error messages saying something like 'wicd has been altered by you so say x (three bits of script) - do you want to keep these or install the new version?' I chose keep for all three (thinking that there must have been a reason that I'd changed wicd, even though I didn't actually know what these scripts were doing ) The internet was working fine, but after switching my laptop back on at a later point this was no longer the case.

I can't open wicd even though the icon is there in the menu. I've tried re-installing it from /var/cache/apt/archives but that failed. I have no internet access on the laptop in question (I'm using a different machine to write this post) so can't download network manager. I'm rather stuck Any help would be great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: ugraded wicd - no internet

I did the same thing of upgrading the wicd through the package manager. Now my wireless does not work now.

It detects several wireless connections including my own. I have tried configuring the using relevant encryption and passwords that I have. Still no success.

Serves me right for upgrading!?!?

Maybe II-8.10 will handle the wireless in a better way...

Beans
    Distro

I decided to uninstall wicd and rebooted, tried selecting the relevant encryption and my wireless network password through using the built in network manager in Ubuntu, it has now detected the wireless network and authenticated, success!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks guys. I've managed to get a wired connection on the relevant machine & tried to completely uninstall Wicd. Doesn't seem to work... Any ideas?

julia@julia-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get remove wicd
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    libglib1.2ldbl libgtk1.2 libdns32 libxul0d galeon-common libmozjs0d
    libgtk1.2-common libxul-common linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic
    linux-headers-2.6.24-16
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    wicd
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 1774kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 186616 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing wicd ...
    Stopping wicd daemon...
    invoke-rc.d: initscript wicd, action "stop" failed.
    dpkg: error processing wicd (--remove):
    subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
    Stopping any running daemons...
    Starting wicd daemon...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    wicd
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    julia@julia-laptop:~$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Ah... I guess I have to assume that WiCd is simply broke! I also allowed it to upgrade this morning, and then immediately lost wireless contact. Now I don't seem to be able to get it back, no matter what I try. I'm stuck with wired.. which is not convenient. WiCd does handle wired ok...

I'm using WPA. On my router, its labeled WPA-PSK. I assume this refers to the Pre Shared Key... THis was working fine until this update.

I hope a new fix appears soon.

- stp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does anyone need me to give them the old version? I have it saved.

Also, try uninstalling then deleting the /opt/wicd folder, then reinstall. Do the same if you uninstall then install with my version.

Edit: Here you go - wicd_1.4.2-1-all.deb
    Last edited by itsjareds; September 29th, 2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Adding wicd package
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

Beans

In the new version of wicd, /opt/wicd/ is no longer used. Most of you probably just need to update your sessions entry for wicd to use "wicd-client", instead of /opt/wicd/tray.py. If you're still having trouble, try rebooting so that both wicd and dbus get reset. For those of you having trouble uninstalling, see this thread.
    Last edited by imdano; September 29th, 2008 at 11:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by imdano View Post
    In the new version of wicd, /opt/wicd/ is no longer used. Most of you probably just need to update your sessions entry for wicd to use "wicd-client", instead of /opt/wicd/tray.py. If you're still having trouble, try rebooting so that both wicd and dbus get reset. For those of you having trouble uninstalling, see this thread.
    I had the same problem - the icon no longer worked. In fact, I had the launch icon in my gnome panel and I immediately guessed it wasn't going to work because the icon was a black square instead of the tower radiating waves. However, I discovered that the upgrade did add a new launch item in Applications > Internet, and the new launch item had the new icon. I just copied the launch command from it to the launch icon in my gnome panel and all was well again as far as launching it.

But now I have a different problem. At home I am wired for ethernet, so the wireless is not an issue. However, at the university there are a couple dozen networks listed as being available. Only one is available to me as a student. When I click to connect to it occasionally there is a delay getting an ip address. The delay is just because there are too many students at the moment. Unfortunately, wicd seems to be set to a very short timeout period and, if it does not connect within the timeout period it automatically goes to the next network. It will connect to this network, but since I am not authorized to use it I can't get a DHCP lease.

I need to figure out how to tell wicd not to do that. If it cannot connect to the network I selected, then just give me a "could not connect" error message and stop. Don't automatically try the next one.

Does anyone know how to do that?
    Linguistics on Linux!

Beans

I have a similar problem just like currywuss.

I had a notification that there was a Wicd update avaliable yesterday. I ran the upgrade, selected keep when it asked me if i wanted to replace the three scripts and the connection was fine until i rebooted.

Now there is no tray icon and when i click on the Wicd icon in Applications nothing will load.

When trying to apt-get remove wicd i get a similar error level to this one

Code:
    Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    I have found the wicd_1.5.3_all.deb and am going to try re installing it. Only problem is my desktop is far away from my router so a wired link is pretty much out of the question!

Anyone managed to solve it yet?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by itsjareds View Post
    Does anyone need me to give them the old version? I have it saved.

Also, try uninstalling then deleting the /opt/wicd folder, then reinstall. Do the same if you uninstall then install with my version.

Edit: Here you go - wicd_1.4.2-1-all.deb
    Thanks for the package. I had same trouble, and fixed it:

a) Removing /var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd.prerm
    b) Purging wicd (aptitude purge wicd)
    c) Installing the package you provide (dpkg -i wicd_1.4.2-1-all.deb)
    d) Restart and all OK

Thanks
    Registered Linux User #371167

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast