Thread: Eek! Another ATI Driver Problem!

Beans

Eek! Another ATI Driver Problem!

I am a new linux user, and after trying to get the ATI driver to work on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) with no success, I switched to Ubuntu 7.01 (Gutsy Gibbon, after reading that some have had better luck in this version of the district.

I, however, do not seem to be a person of luck. After countless attempts to install my ATI Radeon x1600 video driver into Ubuntu, I have decided to make a thread, finding no others with any solution to this problem.

I have used every single method of installation under the sun; Envy, Manual, Restricted Drivers, Chuck Norris. Nothing seems to work. After any install, after rebooting, the Ubuntu splash screen comes up, loads completely, and then goes into a black screen. This screen is completely unresponsive and contains no messages on it whatsoever. I can fix it by rebooting into recovery mode and then reconfiguring my xserver, but then, of course, I am back to square one and need to install the driver again.

I have scoured the web for what seems like years searching for a solution, but to no avail. If anyone here can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated; I may even send you a cookie in the mail (chocolate chip).

Again, I have an ATI Radeon x1600 card. Remember, I am new to linux so if you need me to post extra information, let me know how I can access it.

Beans

Re: Eek! Another ATI Driver Problem!

I feel ya, I have an x800 and cant get it to work. No one on these forums will help you with this issue anymore. I've been trying to get response for a week, but as helpful as these forums are, people don't seem to care about this issue anymore.

Beans

Re: Eek! Another ATI Driver Problem!

Ah shucks, well thanks for the response anyways. I actually managed to get a little further after some more searching. I have now installed the driver and it says the it is "In Use", however my fglrxinfo still shows Mesa drivers and direct rendering is still off. Better than a black screen, on the other hand. Currently searching for ways to fix this problem now.

Let me know if you want to know what I did. I'll post it if I can figure it out