Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: can not get into vmware virtual machine console

Beans

Re: can not get into vmware virtual machine console

I have had the same issue, the way I was able to workaround the issue I have described in this post in another thread.
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by useResa View Post
    I have had the same issue, the way I was able to workaround the issue I have described in this post in another thread.
    Kudos to you, useResa, for figuring that one out. After installing FF 3.5.9, uninstalling the Remote Console Plug-in, killing all running instances of 3.6.x, and reinstalling the plug-in from 3.5.9, VMW Server 2 is now happy. Thanks for the tip.

Beans

Yeah! Thanx, useResa! Just got back to FF 3.5.9 and the problem gone way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tixetsal View Post
    Kudos to you, useResa, for figuring that one out.
    Quote Originally Posted by flavio.vani View Post
    Yeah! Thanx, useResa! Just got back to FF 3.5.9 and the problem gone way.
    Thank you for your reactions.
    Glad that I could provide a working tip to get the VMware Server console up and running again.

Nevertheless I do hope that the issues with the console will be ironed out and that we can get back to one version of firefox.
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans

Hi useResa,

I'm also greatfull to youre tip for installing older ff and it works... I can open console, yeeees!

Did managed desperatly to get mac guest to successfully run on ubuntu x64 finaly..

cheers!

Beans

If the suggestions above didn't work these do. I am posting the instructions and original website. VMWare is getting harder and harder to use with Ubuntu, may have to find something else soon.

-Download Firefox 3.5.9 from:
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
    or
    http://www.adrive.com/public/e1348b5...673a9a43c.html
    (note: even when the Mozilla site expires the adrive site will still be available. This is my online storage)

-Extract the .tar file and rename the extracted folder from firefox to firefox-3.5.9.
    -Type or copy the following command: sudo mv -r firefox-3.5.9 /../usr/lib
    -In a terminal go to the /usr/lib directory: cd /usr/bin
    -Create a symbolic link to firefox in the firefox-3.5.9 folder:
    ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.9/firefox firefox-old.
    -As root or using "sudo" edit the /etc/vmware/config file by adding the following line:
    xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = "TRUE"
    -Remove the VMWare console plugin from the current Firefox.
    -From a terminal type the following: firefox-old
    -Reinstall the VMWare console plugin.

This fix is guranteed even if using about:config, which is suggested from VMWare, does not work. The site below is where I received the original fix from. Give this lady her props. Again I agree with her, VMWare is become more of a hassle to work with Ubuntu.

http://resa.linux-hardcore.com/?p=547

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gorostas View Post
    Hi useResa,
    I'm also greatfull to youre tip for installing older ff and it works... I can open console, yeeees!
    Glad that the tip helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Thilips View Post
    note: even when the Mozilla site expires the adrive site will still be available. This is my online storage
    Great idea to make this old version available from a different location.

The site below is where I received the original fix from. Give this lady her props. Again I agree with her, VMWare is become more of a hassle to work with Ubuntu.

A minor note .... I am a MALE.
    But glad that you have got it working and that you can use the console again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If the suggestions above didn't work these do. I am posting the instructions and original website. VMWare is getting harder and harder to use with Ubuntu, may have to find something else soon.

-Download Firefox 3.5.9 from:
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
    or
    http://www.adrive.com/public/e1348b5...673a9a43c.html
    (note: even when the Mozilla site expires the adrive site will still be available. This is my online storage)

-Extract the .tar file and rename the extracted folder from firefox to firefox-3.5.9.
    -Type or copy the following command: sudo mv -r firefox-3.5.9 /../usr/lib
    -In a terminal go to the /usr/lib directory: cd /usr/bin
    -Create a symbolic link to firefox in the firefox-3.5.9 folder:
    ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.9/firefox firefox-old.
    -As root or using "sudo" edit the /etc/vmware/config file by adding the following line:
    xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = "TRUE"
    -Remove the VMWare console plugin from the current Firefox.
    -From a terminal type the following: firefox-old
    -Reinstall the VMWare console plugin.

This fix is guranteed even if using about:config, which is suggested from VMWare, does not work. The site below is where I received the original fix from. Give this lady her props. Again I agree with her, VMWare is become more of a hassle to work with Ubuntu.

This worked like an absolute treat with ubuntu 10.04 amd64... THANK YOU PEOPLE =D>

Beans

I came across this problem yesterday when I upgraded my firefox to v3.6.6, which was released last week to Hardy (8.04 LTS). So much for LTS stability. Although to be fair, I suspect at this point that VMware needs to tweak the plugin a tad to restore functionality under FF3.6.

I was able to work around this problem doing 2 things found on this thread: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/for...entStyle_plain

First thing was to enable all ssl2 related settings in about:config, as suggested by Alan Doyle on the 5th page. That allowed me to log in, but the console was still unaccessible.

Then I executed the plugin directly from the command line, as described by Mike Masseo on the 4th page. I created an application launcher for vmware-vmrc, and I'm back in business.

To be honest, I think I like this separate launcher for vmware-vmrc, because I don't need to log into the webui first to get a console. Still need to login, but it's a bit faster this way.

On a side note, the webui appears to have lost some of its sluggishness with the FF3.6 upgrade. The webui is noticeably faster now in some parts, but there's still a delay in some portions of the window. FWIW. I do dislike going backwards, so this workaround is ok with me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shubes View Post
    Then I executed the plugin directly from the command line, as described by Mike Masseo on the 4th page. I created an application launcher for vmware-vmrc, and I'm back in business.
    Personally I have used this workaround as well.
    I did need to do some tweaking, both for Ubuntu and Fedora (that I use as well). Posted how I did achieve this for Fedora on my blog, but for Ubuntu it was not that much different.

Quote Originally Posted by shubes View Post
    To be honest, I think I like this separate launcher for vmware-vmrc, because I don't need to log into the webui first to get a console. Still need to login, but it's a bit faster this way.
    I fully agree, the separate launcher is an easier way and does not make you dependent on the browser for using the console

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast