Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can not get into vmware virtual machine console

Beans

can not get into vmware server2 virtual machine console

hi,

I have installed vmware server2, that's ok, poweron a vmx ok, switch to the console page , and installed a plugin ok, then there is a hint "click anywhere to open virtual machine" I did, but get a warning dialog as follow:

------------------------------------
    Cannot access virtual machine console. The request timed out.

The attempt to acquire a valid session ticket for "winxp" took longer than expected. If this problem persists, contact your system administrator.
    ------------------------------------

what's wrong with it, anyone can help me, thanks a lot.
    Last edited by bzimage; September 25th, 2008 at 04:48 PM.

Beans

Re: can not get into vmware server2 virtual machine console

Hey. I've just installed VM Server 2 as well. when I started the console from the terminal it sprang up a new Firefox window which then prompted me with an error about certificates not being authorised. I followed the prompts to add an exception for the vmware console "https://127.0.0.1:8333" to firefox.

This may be a complete red herring but it's probably making sure you have this configured in Firefox (or your preferred browser).

Small side note is - during the install of VMWare Server 2; when asked if I wanted to change the currently configured administrator from '' I entered my own username.
    not sure if this might make a difference - all other settings were left at defaults.

Hope you find a solution!

Beans

Re: can not get into vmware virtual machine console

thank you tinyviking,

I'm sure I have done what you mentioned, including changing the admin user name.
    Now I'm doubting if it is because I'm using the 64bit ubuntu and 64bit vmserver2, is yours 64bit version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm running 64 bit and have no issues.

remember the web interface is on
    http - tcp/8222
    https - tcp/8333

but you need this as well
    console - tcp/902

so if you have some type of firewall or filter up, you need to forward both 8333 and 902

also you need to restart firefox after install of the addon... i'm sure you did.. but just mentioning it.

when I installed mine... it said that my default admin was going to be ' ' and I was logged on as root... so I just gave it my name (logon) as I wasn't sure how it would react to the the 'blank' name later on.

you should be able to re-config vmware by issuing the following as root or sudo'ing it.

/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl

Beans

I think you can rule all of that out.
    I have the esact same error. I am running Vista Ultimate, which is supposed to be a supported host.

My guest it fedora 9.

WHen I try to connect to their of the vm's (which worked in vmplayer, and do work in server 1.07 running on XP)

I get:
    cannot access viortual machine console. The request timed out.
    The attemtp top acquire a valid session ticket for "(vm name)" took longer than expected. If this problem persists, contaft the system admin.

I get this error when lauching VMWare server 2 console in internet explorer 7.

When launching it in Firefox 3.02 I get:
    Unable to connect to the MKS: Timeout while attempting to read.

After turning off the firewall, I tried to connect to the console again, and received :
    Unable to connect to the MKS: Cannot connect to the host (name): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Hope it helps a bit. If anyone finds the fix, I sure would appreciate an email.

--Bruce D. Meyer
    Last edited by bdmeyer; September 28th, 2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Tested firewall

Beans

I came across the same problem, and found that disabling Flashblock did the trick.

Credit goes to this guy: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/140776

Beans

Noscript can also be the problem. It was for me.A quick reset of Noscript and I was able to bring up the remote console.. Why must I tinker with everything?

Beans

in my case I tried disabling all add-ons and also re-installed the plug-in module. worked after that and re-enabled all add-ons and everything still worked. So i think it was just the plug-in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: can not get into vmware virtual machine console

Similar experience as psypher.

Uninstall the "VMware Remote Console Plug-in" add-on, restart firefox, try to open the console to install the add-on, restart firefox. It now works like it used to.

Just for the record:
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux jupiter 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:58:03 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    lsb_release -d
    Description:	Ubuntu 9.04
    Only ask that question when you're stuck searching 8)

Beans

Hey guys, thanks for the tips, it was NoScript that was blocking me when I had the same problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast