Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have Clearwire ISP and can't get connected

Beans

Angry I have Clearwire ISP and can't get connected

I have Ubuntu and Vista as a dual boot on my pc. I can access the web from windows but nothing from Ubuntu. I am a newbie and had to struggle just to get as far as getting Ubuntu on my PC but now I am stuck with getting an internet connection. My ISP is Clearwire.

I have read that many others are having problems with Clearwire and Ubuntu. I called Clearwire for their help support they told me the system supports linux but they don't have tech support for it.

Looking for any solutions (other than switching back to Comcast)

Marti

Beans

Question Re: I have Clearwire ISP and can't get connected

Can you give us a little detail on how you connect in Windows? Is Clearwire a Cable, DSL, Satellite provider? Do you have a static or dynamic ip address? Do you need to use special software in windows or do you use a protocol like PPPOE?

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get an ISP working, unless it requires special software or a special hardware modem or something.

Beans

Re: I have Clearwire ISP and can't get connected

OK I just googled it, its a cellular provider.

Your best bet may be using ndiswrapper combined with the drivers they have on their website. Hopefully the authentication onboard the adapter so that is functions more like a gateway/router than a network card so we can eliminate special software.

BTW, whats your Ubuntu knowledge level? Complete Novice, Beginner, or Intermediate?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

do u got the clearwire pcmcia card or the modem form them cause i got the modem and it works great in linux
    server : running as a full server, router with php adn ruby on rails. runing debian

Beans

I am very new to Ubuntu, I am using Hardy Heron 8.04 I am using Clearwire modem not the PCMCIA card. I have been able to connect directly to the modem with Vist without any software and I have also been able to connect through with my D-link wireless router.
    Marti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Clearwire pretty much works out of the box on ubuntu. You didn't provide any info about your computer; hint, hint. I'm guessing that you may have a hardware specific issue and may need a certain driver. Perhaps if you provide the previously mentioned information someone will see it that can answer your question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by NewDisciple View Post
    Clearwire pretty much works out of the box on ubuntu. You didn't provide any info about your computer; hint, hint. I'm guessing that you may have a hardware specific issue and may need a certain driver. Perhaps if you provide the previously mentioned information someone will see it that can answer your question.
    I'm also a newbie with clearwire. Though luckily I've never had a problem with Ubuntu connecting with using Clearwire -- and yes it has always worked out of the box.

Beans

I have ClearWire and i am using the PC Express Card..... dont know much about linux (Ubuntu) If i can get the internet to work and function to where i can do every day task i will leave VISTA BEHIND!!!!! Beside i have always kinda wanted to go to linux just have not had time to learn to use it! I can get the Residential modem to work from clearwire it uses a standard rj connection ethernet..... i switched from that to a pc express card and now i cant get connected using that! Any help on how to use the ndswrapper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I have never used ndswrapper myself as I had the Intel 1394 card. After a while I began having problems with network manager and I switched to WICD, but as I understand it, network manager is vastly improved. As far as ndswrapper there are many, many threads in the forums with instructions. As an after thought, you didn't give any specifics on your equipment. On my laptop eth0 (wired) had to be disconnected first, prior to connecting to eth1 (WLAN0). The names may be different on your setup but they still mean the same thing.

Beans

I do not know how to do anything in ubuntu.....

The PC Express Card it self is a that acts as a nic card.

Dont know much about it..... i am trying to use the ndiswrapper and the windows drivers but cant seem to get the ndiswrapper to work cause i am used to windows and dont know how to run or install apps in ubuntu..... i am a newb. to ubuntu a geek at windows..... so i need some help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast