Thread: Cricket Broadband (or other EVDO connection)

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cricket Broadband (or other EVDO connection)

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has successfully been able to setup a Cricket Wireless broadband usb modem on their Ubuntu machine & what the process may be. I’ve seen posts about installing other services’ EVDO modems like Verizon & Sprint, but I have this stupid Cricket service & can’t seem to get anything going. I know it’s a long shot, as very few have probably even heard of cricket, but any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Cricket Broadband (or other EVDO connection)

I would love to find out about this too. I am going to be getting their broadband when it comes out in our area this month and don't want to switch my laptop from Vista to Ubuntu until I know it will work - since I work from my laptop.

Maybe I can poke around the WINE forums to see what I can find there, since it's a software issue and the software says it's only compatible with Windows and Mac.

Edit: I found a thread with a possible solution: How to set up EVDO card or usb enable phone (CDMA). Part way down the page you'll find someone talking about getting their Cricket broadband to work... it continues on to page 27 until the problem seems resolved. It's a huge thread, but you might want to review it all for steps on how to do this specifically for Cricket and then maybe post it here in detail for other Cricket/Ubuntu users to use as a How-to, perhaps.

I would, but Cricket's broadband hasn't come out in our area yet, so I still have a month or so to wait.
    Last edited by Skylara; October 14th, 2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Additional Info Added

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Re: Cricket Broadband (or other EVDO connection)

I got the utstarcom um100c usb modem from cricket wireless to work for me in ubuntu 8.10 (this is the new release that is coming out on oct. 30th)

it is actully very easy to do with 8.10. it is listed in the network manager icon where you connect to wireless connections. you do need to edit the setting for it (it is recognized as a "CDMA Connection" and you need to put in a username and password. for this you use yourphonenumber@mycricket.com (you can get you phone number either from the cricket store or in windows in the aplication for the cricket service) and the password is cricket. make sure that the number section says #777. then just tell it to connect like you would to connect to a regular wireless connection.

I am in the Salt Lake City area and im getting according to dslreports speed test between 350k-800k download (same as i get from windows)and about 120-150k upload (again same as windows).

i will try this with my other laptop that is running 8.04 and let you know how that works, but from what i understand its pretty easy to get to work there too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I had just installed my very first linux Ubunto 8.04 and the only thing I need to work out was cricket broadband and wireless. I downloaded 8.10 rc tried it from the disk, love it, now installing it.

Beans

Followed instructions to make my cricket USB modem to work on both 8.10 and 8.04 and neither works. How exactly did you accomplish this?

Beans

Ok I got the phone number the modem connects but the authentication fails any ideas?
    Last edited by frankhdz; November 2nd, 2008 at 06:36 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by woktrr View Post
    Hello. I was wondering if anyone has successfully been able to setup a Cricket Wireless broadband usb modem on their Ubuntu machine & what the process may be. I’ve seen posts about installing other services’ EVDO modems like Verizon & Sprint, but I have this stupid Cricket service & can’t seem to get anything going. I know it’s a long shot, as very few have probably even heard of cricket, but any help would be appreciated.
    Hello install ubuntu then plug in your cricket modem look at the top right hand corner of the screen there will be a small monitor left click on it go down to auto broadband left click on it then you will be connected then click on firefox web browser

Beans

Switched to Ubuntu 8.10 a few weeks ago, after setting up the Cricket on an XP machine. Modem worked fine for a while. I set up a new machine with 8.10 again and now my signal keeps stopping after a few minutes; comp also freezes up if I try to reconnect. Called Cricket and was told to re-activate the modem, obviously can't do this on linux. Anyone been able to get WINE to run the setup wizard for the modem? I can get to the point where it tries to find the modem but can't get past that. Also, even when it was running fine I could rarely get over 100k down.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Cricket Broadband (or other EVDO connection)

Quote Originally Posted by woktrr View Post
    i just solved this problem on fedora 10

the first you need to make sure it is checked on your start up files
    the second will make sure the third works note there is a set of files on the third which
    is the syntax needed..........check your repositories for the first two
    **********im on fedora 10......after i did all of this i shut the computer down and started it up
    the modem seems to only pick up from off to on not already on
    1) http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

2) http://vidner.net/martin/software/cnetworkmanager/

3) http://www.tummy.com/journals/entrie...0090829_150952

i did not need to put in phone info or anything however the modem must first be activated account wise on xp or mac before working on linux.......goodluck--------pass it on
    Last edited by perezomail; September 26th, 2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: more info