Thread: newb windows share mounting [yes I've searched]

Beans

Question newb windows share mounting [yes I've searched]

Hey All, I have a XP SP3 machine for a media server. It hosts all my music/movies/etc. I recently moved from XP to Kubuntu for my primary workstation. I want to mount the media server share so I don't have to keep using the Dolphin share wizard every time I want to watch a flick or listen to music.

I've searched around and so far this, kinda, works

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.120/share /mnt/mymount -o user=user,password=password
    The thing is that will only work if I point to an exact share on the media server. I want to mount the 192.168.1.120 address so I can access ALL the shares it lists.

If I try
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.120 /mnt/mymount -o user=user,password=password
    I get the following error:
    Mounting the DFS root for a particular server not implemented yet
    No ip address specified and hostname not found
    If I try
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.120/ /mnt/mymount -o user=user,password=password
    I get the following error:
    mount error 6 = No such device or address
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
    I'm really confused why it works when I specify a particular share on the server but won't work if I want to access the root of all shares. Yet if I use that handy share wizard in Dolphin I CAN specify the root share and everything I want.
    Last edited by idledecz; September 24th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: newb windows share mounting [yes I've searched]

Well, I use autofs to mount smb-shares. It can mount all shares from one server.