Thread: [SOLVED] Blocking a specific SSID

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[SOLVED] Blocking a specific SSID

Hi everyone, I'm having a minor problem with my wireless network.

My own wireless router is configured properly - SSID has been customised, it's encrypted with a WPA key, generally it's working fine and as I want it. But my neighbours (don't know which ones - I live in a block of flats) have an unsecured router (basically they haven't configured it since it came out of the box - doh!) called "NETGEAR". Occasionally my laptop connects to their router instead of mine.

Apart from the ethical considerations of being connected to someone else's router, I'm also concerned about being connected to a network over which I have no security control. Also, the wireless link with that router is more unreliable than with mine (because it's not in the same flat).

Does anyone know how to configure my wireless card so that it doesn't try to connect to this "NETGEAR" connection?

Many thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Blocking a specific SSID

Do you have "roaming" turned on? If so, turning it off might be worth a try.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

yea,, you could turn roaming mode off and configure ubuntu to only connect to your network.. go to system->admin->network and go to the wifi interface properties and uncheck roaming mode1

Beans
    Distro

This would be one way of solving that particular problem, however I take the laptop with me to work in different locations, and I need to be able to access the wireless networks there...

I don't want to "accept one, reject the rest", I would like it the other way around.

Beans
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] Blocking a specific SSID

Problem solved.

The folder ~/.gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks contains information on all the wireless access points that have been accessed by the computer. I deleted the folder pertaining to the offending access point, and voilà my laptop no longer tries to connect to it.