Thread: Conky Rhythmbox Python Script

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Conky Rhythmbox Python Script

ArchLinux : Package support is present in the AUR. All my packages can be seen here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=kaivalagi

Ubuntu/Debian : All the script packages have now been copied into the Conky Companions PPA. Any package updates will be provided by the team through this new ppa. The ppa can be found here: https://launchpad.net/~conky-companions/+archive/ppa. To use this ppa first delete the old ppa files using this:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/m-buck* && sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/conkyhardcore*
    Then follow the modified first post instructions for the scripts

Intro

This is a simple script to display what is current playing in Rhythmbox. The script talks to Rhythmbox using dbus, and allows the outputting of track info and the use of templates...

There is a README with the install, I suggest you give it atleast a quick once over! It can be found in the installation folder, normally following the path of /usr/share/conky<scriptname>/

Basic Install

Method 1: Using apt

1) Add the repository to your OS install:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:conky-companions/ppa
    * Note if you are running 9.10 or below then refer to the PPA link at the end of this post for help on installing from the ppa, good guidance can be found on the launchpad site

2) Now that is done simply run the following to update your repo cache and install the script:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install conkyrhythmbox
    Method 2: Using deb file

Run the .deb file available at the Conky Companions PPA site here: https://launchpad.net/~conky-compani.../ppa/+packages

Warning, this will not ensure you are kept up-to-date. Only method 1 will do that

Method 3: Using tar.gz file

Extract all the contents of the tar.gz file to an appropriate folder, and edit the conkyRhythmbox script to point to the correct location where conkyRhythmbox.py is. The tar.gz file is available at the Conky Companions PPA site here: https://launchpad.net/~conky-compani.../ppa/+packages

Unless you are using a non-Debian based OS I don't suggest this. Users of Debian/Ubuntu flavour OS's should ideally use method 1.

Again will will not receive updates using this method. ONLY method 1 can do this for you

All further details on setup are orientated around the deb package based install, so may differ from what you choose your setup to be, if done using the tarball.

Usage Help

You can get the current help options at any time by running (change the path as necessary):

Code:
    conkyRhythmbox -h
    or

Code:
    conkyRhythmbox --help
    Code:
    Usage: conkyRhythmbox [options]
    Options:
      -h, --help            show this help message and exit
      -t FILE, --template=FILE
                            define a template file to generate output in one call.
                            A displayable item in the file is in the form
                            [--datatype=TI]. The following are possible options
                            within each item: --datatype,--ratingchar. Note that
                            the short forms of the options are not currently
                            supported! None of these options are applicable at
                            command line when using templates.
      -d DATATYPE, --datatype=DATATYPE
                            [default: TI] The data type options are: ST (status),
                            CA (coverart), TI (title), AL (album), AR (artist), GE
                            (genre), YR (year), TN (track number), FN (file name),
                            BR (bitrate k/s), LE (length), PP (current position in
                            percent), PT (current position in time), VO (volume),
                            RT (rating). Not applicable at command line when using
                            templates.
      -r CHAR, --ratingchar=CHAR
                            [default: *] The output character for the ratings
                            scale. Command line option overridden if used in
                            templates.
      -s TEXT, --statustext=TEXT
                            [default: Playing,Paused,Stopped] The text must be
                            comma delimited in the form 'A,B,C'. Command line
                            option overridden if used in templates.
      -n, --nounknownoutput
                            Turn off unknown output such as "Unknown" for title
                            and "0:00" for length. Command line option overridden
                            if used in templates.
      -S, --secondsoutput   Force all position and length output to be in seconds
                            only.
      -m LENGTH, --maxlength=LENGTH
                            [default: 0] Define the maximum length of any
                            datatypes output, if truncated the output ends in
                            "..."
      -v, --verbose         Request verbose output, not a good idea when running
                            through conky!
      -V, --version         Displays the version of the script.
      --errorlogfile=FILE   If a filepath is set, the script appends errors to the
                            filepath.
      --infologfile=FILE    If a filepath is set, the script appends info to the
                            filepath.
    Development History

Development history going forwards can be seen here https://code.launchpad.net/~conky-companions/+junk/conkyrhythmbox
    All packages available from me can be found here: https://launchpad.net/~conky-companions/+archive/ppa
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kaivalagi; December 14th, 2010 at 11:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Conky Rhythmbox Python Script

W00T!!!
    I can now get rid of exaile! at least until they come out with 0.3 or w/e it is. Thanks man. Now to figure out a new layout...

Hippy
    hippyrandall.com | This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is alittle ironic since we may not have one. -- Arthur Clarke

Beans
    Hidden!

I couldn't help myself, I found out how to get the dbus info for Rhythmbox so had to do it!

I am switching to Rhythmbox now too...

Beans
    Hidden!

UPDATE

I've updated the script as follows:

• Updated to handle when no music is playing, no unnecessary dbus calls will be made
    • Updated rating output generation to use ljust string function

The first post attachments have been updated, and the apt package is available

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Noob here: how do you put it into you config file?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mp3_freak_721 View Post
    Noob here: how do you put it into you config file?
    Okay, if you install this using method 1 all the hard work is done for you without any possible problems...

Once you have installed the script can be run from the command line and through an exec call in conky as "conkyRhythmbox"

There is an example provided with the install, which if you open in an editor you'll see how things work. The file is: /usr/share/conkyrhythmbox/example/conkyrc

To run this example conky for this script, the following should be entered into the terminal:

Code:
    conky -c /usr/share/conkyrhythmbox/example/conkyrc
    All of this is in the README.txt file attached in the first post of this thread, I suggest you have a quick read

Any issues just ask...