Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Conky Rhythmbox Python Script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Conky Rhythmbox Python Script

Same thing here my conky is all conky.

BUT with a little investigation, I have found that although the python script I have (kaivalagi) doesn't work,

my Rhythmbox lyrics plug-in (Copyright © 2005-2007 Jonathan Matthew, Eduardo Gonzalez, Sirio Bolaños) which has a couple options of which site to use, still works with

leoslyrics.com and lyrc.com.ar but naturally not with the wiki...

so either the python script can be rewritten to use one, or both, of these,
    or
    the Rhythmbox plug-in can pipe the info to conky some how...???

What are your thoughts?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dariusdwtt View Post
    Same thing here my conky is all conky.

BUT with a little investigation, I have found that although the python script I have (kaivalagi) doesn't work,

my Rhythmbox lyrics plug-in (Copyright © 2005-2007 Jonathan Matthew, Eduardo Gonzalez, Sirio Bolaños) which has a couple options of which site to use, still works with

leoslyrics.com and lyrc.com.ar but naturally not with the wiki...

so either the python script can be rewritten to use one, or both, of these,
    or
    the Rhythmbox plug-in can pipe the info to conky some how...???

What are your thoughts?
    I want to investigate other lyrics sites besides lyricwiki, or figure out how to "screen scrape" the html content from the viewable web page on the main lyricwiki site.

The problem is that will the other lyrics sites be subject to the same restrictions lyricwiki is under currently? No doubt they will become more popular now lyricwiki can't provide lyrics via an api...

Beans
    Hi, I'm a Linux noob but I've manged to install your wonderful script. I have a question, though. Is it normal for the position of the track information to be updated every 10-15 seconds? I though it should be real-time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Takehaniyasubiko View Post
    Hi, I'm a Linux noob but I've manged to install your wonderful script. I have a question, though. Is it normal for the position of the track information to be updated every 10-15 seconds? I though it should be real-time.
    It will update how often you tell it, via the conky execi command.

As conky refreshes everything itself you can't keep state or drive output from events etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    It will update how often you tell it, via the conky execi command.

As conky refreshes everything itself you can't keep state or drive output from events etc.
    Thank you! I'm such a noob that I didn't know what "execi" was about.

Anyway, I've fought with this whole day (especially with email script) but I've managed to overcome the basics and my desktop looks like this:

takehaniyasubiko_desktop_crunchbang.png

It's simple, I know, but I'm using Linux (Crunchbang) for only two days so I'm still happy that I was able to do at least this much.

Overall, I must say that... Linux is wonderful! I can't believe I was using Windows all this time...

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyway, I've fought with this whole day (especially with email script) but I've managed to overcome the basics and my desktop looks like this:

It's simple, I know, but I'm using Linux (Crunchbang) for only two days so I'm still happy that I was able to do at least this much.

Overall, I must say that... Linux is wonderful! I can't believe I was using Windows all this time...
    Welcome to the club

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Care to post your conkyrc? I like your layout.
    I m also just using linux, and like you i have to say it's way better than windows!
    Last edited by wobin77; September 8th, 2009 at 10:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question on the lyrics script.

In lyricsdownloader.py, what are the variable names for sing title and artist? Mine seems to have %s for both.

I'm trying to set it up to use a different lyrics website.
    Desktop: Quantal on Core2 Duo E8500/Asus P5Q
    Laptop: Precise on S76 Pangolin

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
    Question on the lyrics script.

In lyricsdownloader.py, what are the variable names for sing title and artist? Mine seems to have %s for both.

I'm trying to set it up to use a different lyrics website.
    You're best asking eightmillion, it's his script...

I have just come back from holiday and won't be looking too heavily into anything right now (jet lagged right now after travelling half way round the world in less than 2 days and I have a new job on Monday). I am planning to investigate a way to grab the lyrics from the lyricwiki web pages rather than an api, not sure whether this has already been done (I suspect so as lot's of apps are affected by the switching off of the api functions).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You're best asking eightmillion, it's his script...
    Sorry, I'd forgotten about that.

I am planning to investigate a way to grab the lyrics from the lyricwiki web pages rather than an api, not sure whether this has already been done (I suspect so as lot's of apps are affected by the switching off of the api functions).
    Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I've checked the source of several lyrics web pages, and they all have the lyrics in a <div>. It seems like it should be possibly to use regexes to search for that div, then display everything up to the close </div>. Then, in the script, you'd just have a variable where you'd supply the ID (or class) of the <div> you're looking for, depending on what website you were using.

I've already gotten it to show the web page source on my desktop. Now I just need to figure out a way to filter for that div.
    Desktop: Quantal on Core2 Duo E8500/Asus P5Q
    Laptop: Precise on S76 Pangolin

Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast