Thread: flash player, java, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

flash player, java, etc.

I'm running 64-bit, so getting flash player, java, etc. to run is a pain. How difficult is it to install these things under Gentoo?

Installation under Ubuntu has gotten better over the years. On the downside, the installation procedure changes with each new release.

Gentoo appeals to me. I don't like bloat, and I like to know what's going on. And with several decades as an assembly language programmer, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty with a system. (And now that I'm retired, I have the time. )
    Intel i7-920; Nvidia GT 220, 1GB; MSI X58 Pro-E; 6GB DDR; 64-bit mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: flash player, java, etc.

Java is easy enough, though if you want a working browser plugin you might need to use the IcedTea build system to let you build a native 64-bit Java. (The provided Sun binary for Java 1.6 doesn't include a browser plugin; there's a less-capable binary from Blackdown, but it's only 1.4.) As for Flash, there's always nspluginwrapper. I think that's about it for problems arising from a 64-bit browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: flash player, java, etc.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=flash+64-bit

Worked for me pal - good luck!

As for Gentoo, I've no idea, but fancy a play myself
    CPU AMD Athlon X2 Processor 5000+ 2.61GHz) | RAM 2 x 2GB (667MHz DDR2) | Hard Drive 500GB SATA (OS) & 1.5TB SATA (data) | Graphics nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB | Sound Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme