Thread: [SOLVED] Moving Taskbar to the Top

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Moving Taskbar to the Top

Sheesh, I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary and I'm still an Absolute Beginner sometimes!

I want to move my taskbar (panel) to the very top of the screen, above the menu bar (panel). How do I do that? It seems to default to being underneath the menu bar, even if I move them to the bottom first and then move them up one by one.

I've seen a screenshot of it, so I know it can be done. How?
    Microsoft is not the answer.
    Microsoft is the question.
    NO (or Linux) is the answer.
    - source unknown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Moving Taskbar to the Top

I don't really understand your question, but I'll give it a try.

If it is the entire panel that you would want to move, simply drag 'n drop it to where you want it. Make sure you lock the mouse on an empty space on the panel.

If it is items on the panel that you want to move, make sure that they are not locked to it by right clicking the item and uncheck Lock To Panel. Then move them by holding down both left and right mouse button over the item and simply drag it onto the other panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by twoseids View Post
    Sheesh, I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary and I'm still an Absolute Beginner sometimes!

I want to move my taskbar (panel) to the very top of the screen, above the menu bar (panel). How do I do that? It seems to default to being underneath the menu bar, even if I move them to the bottom first and then move them up one by one.

I've seen a screenshot of it, so I know it can be done. How?
    Right click on the bar at the end is easiest click on properties and change the drop down, also if you turn off the exspand you can move the bar manually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

from what i understand you want to take task bar up simply click on it then drag an drop it to the top of desktop that is all

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you tried moving them where you want and then locking the panels - not sure if it only works on icons or on panel position as well

Alt+F2 - gconf-editor

apps>panel>global>locked_down

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I might not have been as clear or thorough as I should have been, sorry.

I did try dragging and dropping the panels, but that does not work with two top panels. You can choose top, but not WHERE top.

Anyway, I figured out a workaround. I just moved all the icons (panel items) from the lower panel to the top, and all the icons from the top panel to the lower one. Problem solved.

Thanks for pitching in and trying to help!