Thread: [SOLVED] latest status of firefox flash sound issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] latest status of firefox flash sound issue

can somebody pls tell me the latest status of Hardy PulseAudio + firefox3 flash plugin sound conflict?
    can I finally watch youtube (with sound) while some other media player is open?

hours of googling made me read 101 articles/tips/advice on fixing this from installing libflashsupport then n-something-wrapper blah blah.. bug tickets say they have fixed it but user comments say it doesn't work.. I'm going nuts pulling my hair..

(here's what I know so far:
    Hardy introduced the *new* PulseAudio (what was wrong with the old one??); that triggers a bug in FF flash plugin n breaks it; Adobe wont fix it; Ubuntu devs say they can't do anything; )

Ubuntu 8.04.1
    firefox 3.0.1
    flashplugin-nonfree 9.0.124.0ubuntu2

Beans

Re: latest status of firefox flash sound issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you can get libflashsupport package to fix the audio problem, but in return, you get random firefox crashes.
    here is the bug report page:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rt/+bug/192888

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    thanks a zillion! that worked!

The post#7 points to this page where I simply followed the steps and everything works perfectly!

On a side note, I'm surprised 4 hrs of my googling didn't take me there. Shouldn't there be a official "work-arounds" page for Hardy where the latest state of all such common bugs/solutions are listed? It'll save a lot of time for many ppl.

Beans
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] latest status of firefox flash sound issue

There's a always recreatable crash with the new Shockwave Flash 10.0 r12 plugin: "Super Wall" in Facebook. Playing any video there will crash FF every single time.
    (That's the only crash I found so far.. almost all other flash sites/vidoes work without a hitch)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie2x View Post
    thanks a zillion! that worked!

The post#7 points to this page where I simply followed the steps and everything works perfectly!

On a side note, I'm surprised 4 hrs of my googling didn't take me there. Shouldn't there be a official "work-arounds" page for Hardy where the latest state of all such common bugs/solutions are listed? It'll save a lot of time for many ppl.
    BTW: Flash works great in Intrepid, but since Hardy is LTS they really should implement this into the updates!