Thread: Dealing with DMG files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Dealing with DMG files

Background

I recently downloaded a DMG containing a collection of useful Free and Open Source Mac OS software. (You can get it here if you're interested.) I didn't see any obvious way to handle this file with Ubuntu so I searched the forums and the wiki and google.

Problem

Everyone seemed to be pointing to the same broken solution, to use a PERL script called dmg2iso from here. I tried it out, once I got past installing the zlib libraries for perl and pointing the script at /usr/bin/perl it still didn't work

Solution

I set out to get a working solution to this problem of dealing with DMG files. It was pretty quick, I just compiled the dmg2img code also available on the site where dmg2iso is, mounted the image, and then made an iso with Brasero.

Tutorial

Since the existing tutorial on the Wiki was incorrect I went ahead and wrote a new tutorial. I've only tested the tutorial on Hardy Heron 8.0.4.1, AMD64.

If anyone has anything to say I'd love to hear it. I'm looking for feedback, errors in the tutorial, confirmation of the method working on other releases, or general praise ().

Thanks everybody! I hope this helps some one out!
    Last edited by tbielawa; September 22nd, 2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: enabling notifications of follow ups

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Dealing with DMG files

so let me see if i got this straight...you got .dmgs to work in ubuntu?

<3 aperture
    "We withold the right to smack stupid people"

Dell inspiron 6400; Intel Core duo T2400 @ 1.83GHz; SATA 500 gig HDD; 2 gig RAM @ 667MHz; Nvidia GeForce Go 7300

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Dealing with DMG files

Quote Originally Posted by rbolio View Post
    so let me see if i got this straight...you got .dmgs to work in ubuntu?

<3 aperture

Well ya, I guess so.....

It's not the most direct method for making them usable but they are usable now