Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Openbox-Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thanks - feedback

I agree that we don't need another niche in another niche within a fork of debian.

That said I've now arrived at a Hardy install which is a fair bit improved over Gutsy. Which in my imo is better than debian.

I only use vbox for testing iso. It does not work well as an alternate operating system on my aging computer.

My biggest problem that I wish somebody else would solve is that I'm stuck on a phone line for internet access. No Ubuntu version offers me openbox on the cd.

So days and days of downloading later I've got openbox working.

Since linux will work off a floppy why is the command line install of ubuntu about 300mb?

After Xorg why is it about 900mb?

These are not acceptable numbers for speed or hard drive usage.

Chunk some junk and get a live cd with openbox, a text editor, terminal emulator, a decent web browser, email, and basic system utilities in under 500mb installed?

Maybe a panel or two for user ease?

My hunk of junk computer runs gnome stuff just fine and other folks computers don't. I like the ease of use and integration of gnome.

Others might not.

If we really are talking small and light let's work out some common ground.

If I cut out gnome which is a decision I can easily live with, there is still too much junk on the sytem for an even worse system than mine.

Lighten up the whole thing.

A much better project than mine was.

Beyond my skills at the moment.

One of the beautiful things about using linux day to day is that there are fifteen ways of doing anything.

That said linux is also about choice. I want nothing but python and c on my system. Anything that requires the myriad of scripting and programming languages can take a hike.

I don't need or want a manual on a useless obsolete scripting language or editor clogging my system up.

Beans

Re: thanks - feedback

Any Ubuntu installation is going to have a certain minimum "footprint" for the basic Ubuntu system. I do not think you are going to get your functional Ubuntu system with GUI and applications for under 500mb installed. Even Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, Crunchbang, etc. require around 1.5-2gb of hard disk space for an install. You need to think outside the Ubuntu "box" if you really want a super-ultra-light system.

I keep repeating myself, but have you tried SliTaz yet? It will give you Openbox, panels, firefox, leafpad, etc. and it's only a 29mb download.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Will check slitaz - maybe hope?

I kinda skipped over slitaz after your suggestions. I'll check it again.

After spending some time on Windows 2000 pro today, I'll take Xubuntu, Ubuntu, but not Kubuntu over any of that waste.

I had to go to the dark side to earn groceries and gas. Not very productive with all the firewalls and spyware/malware/virus checkers. Not to mention the stupid update thing.

A modern gui text editor is what it is. No extra features needed.

I like notetab light in windows and gedit in linux.

I can use nano no problem. Or whatever.

I got stuff to do so don't update me all the time.

All programming even in windows can be done from a text editor.

In linux I often have a bunch of terminals open. Command line is super functional. It's a line editor people!

Note:

This is off topic. Every time I move up a notch with ubuntu I'm very unhappy if I do it on schedule.

I finally got hardy working (note the date) and it's the best ever.

Been the same with every release. Get it when it's time for the next one. No problem. Get it now - problem!

Anyway thanks for your help.

I'm thinking this thread might be dead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123