Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Conky Exaile Python Script

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Conky Exaile Python Script

Quote Originally Posted by akahige View Post
    Helped quite a bit, actually. I'd skimmed the updated readme, but didn't quite get that this was a new and necessary way of doing things, and not just an improved and compact one.

The one thing that I can't seem to grok -- and this wasn't real clear in the previous version, even though I got it to work -- is the way in which the custom status text is called. Where does it go?

I'm using this (or trying to):
    Code:
    Now [--datatype=ST --statustext=Playing,Paused,Stopped]:
    ...but it's not being read. Also tried it in front of the datatype (where it was in the initial incarnation that worked with the previous version), but it didn't work there, either.
    If you're not concerned about CPU usage then running what you had before is fine, however using a template means everything will gather via a single dbus call and get output, so CPU usage should go down.

I'll take a look when I get home, maybe I've missed the --statustext setting out of the template functionality, so it's not getting picked up?
    Last edited by kaivalagi; November 21st, 2008 at 06:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    If you're not concerned about CPU usage then running what you had before is fine, however using a template means everything will gather via a single dbus call and get output, so CPU usage should go down.
    I'm not on the world's fastest system, so obviously, I'd like things as optimal as they can be -- or at least not horribly wasteful.

I didn't know about the template being a single dbus call. Now that you say it, it makes perfect sense. Of course, I also missed the part in the readme where you said that the short variable names aren't supported yet.

I'll take a look when I get home, maybe I've missed the --statustext setting out of the template functionality, so it's not getting picked up?
    Well... If you can't see a problem with the data format that I'm using, then that should help eliminate my implementation as the part of the problem.

Looking forward to seeing what you discover...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by akahige View Post
    I'm not on the world's fastest system, so obviously, I'd like things as optimal as they can be -- or at least not horribly wasteful.

I didn't know about the template being a single dbus call. Now that you say it, it makes perfect sense. Of course, I also missed the part in the readme where you said that the short variable names aren't supported yet.

Well... If you can't see a problem with the data format that I'm using, then that should help eliminate my implementation as the part of the problem.

Looking forward to seeing what you discover...
    I have updated the script (locally) to accept the statustext from command line options or from the template now...

Thinking about it though, there is no reason why you shouldn't just set the statustext option up in the main exec call instead....it's not like you'll want 2 statuses in the same output with different text is it? At least not yet

On this basis I am not going to go through the hassle of releasing the changes just yet, I'll wait until there are enough of them to warrant it....or when my other project is finished first

Beans

I have updated the script (locally) to accept the statustext from command line options or from the template now...

Thinking about it though, there is no reason why you shouldn't just set the statustext option up in the main exec call instead....
    You know... I almost tried that, but I was running short on time, and I figured that if it was an option, you'd have mentioned it. Sigh...

it's not like you'll want 2 statuses in the same output with different text is it? At least not yet
    Ooh... multiple statuses... that could be fun... Although, I'll have to devote some thought to what the actual benefit would be. Sounds like you have something spiffy and evil in mind...

On this basis I am not going to go through the hassle of releasing the changes just yet, I'll wait until there are enough of them to warrant it....or when my other project is finished first
    That sounds totally reasonable. Except for the mention of the mysterious "other project". That's just cruel. At this rate, you should just call the phantom python monitor "Area 51". Whatever it is... I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't know what can be done here

Try re-installing dbus and python-dbus, just in case...

This might take some effort, but could you run a live cd on the PC, once booted up, install conky from the repo, and the script from the deb file, and try it out.....I
    Had a partial system crash and did a clean install of xubuntu 8.10; exaile and forecast scripts working just fine now.

Thanks for putting in all the time with these scripts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The mark of an honest man ... is that he means what he says and knows what he means.
    A.R.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ddnev45 View Post
    Had a partial system crash and did a clean install of xubuntu 8.10; exaile and forecast scripts working just fine now.

Thanks for putting in all the time with these scripts.
    My pleasure...

It's an addiction of sorts, much like messing with conky settings

Beans

Thanks for this great script

-------------------------------------

i solved the problem for $if_running..

check what is your "ps aux | grep exaile" looks like

if your ps reply like this.. you will have to rename the process name
    Code:
    c0re     30372  9.5  5.3 158036 55312 ?        Sl   02:41   0:51 python /usr/lib/exaile/exaile.py

here is the 13 steps HowTO:

step 1. download the attachment file.
    step 2. save it
    step 3. extract it; tar xzf PyInline-0.03.tar.gz
    step 4. cd PyInline-0.03
    step 5. chmod +x setup.py
    step 6. sudo ./setup.py install
    step 7. sudo gedit /usr/lib/exaile/exaile.py
    step 8. find import sys
    step 9. add after
    Code:
    import dl
    import PyInline
    import time
    libc = dl.open('/lib/libc.so.6')
    if libc != 0 : libc.call('prctl', 15, 'exaile\0', 0, 0, 0)
    else : print ('prctl not called')

m = PyInline.build(code=r"""
        #include <Python.h>
        #include <stdio.h>
        #include <string.h>

void set_argv(char *str){
            int argc;
            char **argv;
            Py_GetArgcArgv(&argc, &argv);
            strncpy(argv[0], str , strlen(str));
            memset(&argv[0][strlen(str)], '\0', strlen(&argv[0][strlen(str)]));
        }
        """, language="C")

m.set_argv('exaile')
    step 10. save the file.
    step 11. run exaile
    step 12. its should be working now
    step 13. have fun
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

Holy crap, that's a lot you have to go through to sort it, well done on figuring it out!

I am using exaile from the dev repo's and don't have the problem, could it be that version has been updated to work better?
    Last edited by kaivalagi; November 28th, 2008 at 11:53 PM.

Beans

Holy crap, that's a lot you have to go through to sort it, well done on figuring it out!

I am using exaile from the dev repo's and don't have the problem, could it be that version has been updated to work better?
    i am sorry. my english isnt well.. so explain it clearly.

EDIT: i mean what you meant by "could it be that version has been updated to work better"
    Last edited by x0x; November 29th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by x0x View Post
    i am sorry. my english isnt well.. so explain it clearly.

EDIT: i mean what you meant by "could it be that version has been updated to work better"
    I've installed exaile using this apt source in /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/exaile-devel/ubuntu intrepid main
    You could try installing a newer version of exaile from this repo, it may well work fine without any modifications.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast