Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Conky Exaile Python Script

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Conky Exaile Python Script

Quote Originally Posted by riizu View Post
    Hey I tried it, but I get this error.

Code:
    ERROR: Issue calling the dbus service:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/service.py", line 643, in _message_cb
        (candidate_method, parent_method) = _method_lookup(self, method_name, interface_name)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/service.py", line 244, in _method_lookup
        raise UnknownMethodException('%s is not a valid method of interface %s' % (method_name, dbus_interface))
    UnknownMethodException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Unknown method: get_volume is not a valid method of interface org.exaile.DBusInterface
    I have this line in my .conkyrc

Code:
    ${execp conkyExaile --template=/usr/share/conkyexaile/example/conkyExaile.template}
    PS I have the newest version of Ubuntu.
    I get a similar error:

Code:
    [AMD-64] ~/.conkyscripts $ conky -c ConkyExaile
    Conky: use_spacer should have an argument of left, right, or none.  'yes' seems to be some form of 'true', so defaulting to right.
    Conky: desktop window (1a6) is root window
    Conky: window type - override
    Conky: drawing to created window (1a00001)
    Conky: drawing to double buffer
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/conkyexaile/conkyExaile.py", line 103, in getOutputText
        bus = dbus.SessionBus()
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/_dbus.py", line 217, in __new__
        mainloop=mainloop)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/_dbus.py", line 106, in __new__
        bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/bus.py", line 125, in __new__
        bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
    DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-92gFCnxAkD: Connection refused
    ERROR: Unknown error when calling getOutputText:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-92gFCnxAkD: Connection refused
        bus = dbus.SessionBus()
        mainloop=mainloop)
    DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-5PhYayzRrx: Connection refused
    If I run the conkyexaile script as root, it will start, but not detect the CD.

Exaile 0.2.14
    Ubuntu 8.04.
    Openbox.

The script runs just fine on my laptop.
    Last edited by ddnev45; November 14th, 2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: more information.
    The mark of an honest man ... is that he means what he says and knows what he means.
    A.R.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ddnev45 View Post
    I get a similar error:

Code:
    [AMD-64] ~/.conkyscripts $ conky -c ConkyExaile
    Conky: use_spacer should have an argument of left, right, or none.  'yes' seems to be some form of 'true', so defaulting to right.
    Conky: desktop window (1a6) is root window
    Conky: window type - override
    Conky: drawing to created window (1a00001)
    Conky: drawing to double buffer
        bus = dbus.SessionBus()
        mainloop=mainloop)
    DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-92gFCnxAkD: Connection refused
    ERROR: Unknown error when calling getOutputText:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-92gFCnxAkD: Connection refused
        bus = dbus.SessionBus()
        mainloop=mainloop)
    DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-5PhYayzRrx: Connection refused
    If I run the conkyexaile script as root, it will start, but not detect the CD.

Exaile 0.2.14
    Ubuntu 8.04.
    Openbox.

The script runs just fine on my laptop.
    Have you tried running a newer exaile version? Update from the exaile dev repo maybe?

Add this to the bottom of /etc/apt/sources.list (swap intrepid for hardy if that's the case):

Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/exaile-devel/ubuntu intrepid main
    Run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    We know the script works, it looks to me like something related to dbus, either exaile specific or system specific.

Let me know how you get on with the above

Beans
    Hidden!

Tried the upgrade route, but I see on the exaile site that I can use the development releases. Will try that after work tonight if I have time.

Right now, I'm leaning toward something system specific. The desktop (non-working) is a self-built, AMD 64-bit chip; the laptop is a Compaq AMD 32-bit chip. That would be the main difference.
    Last edited by ddnev45; November 14th, 2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    The mark of an honest man ... is that he means what he says and knows what he means.
    A.R.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ddnev45 View Post
    Tried the upgrade route, but I see on the exaile site that I can use the development releases. Will try that after work tonight if I have time.

Right now, I'm leaning toward something system specific. The desktop (non-working) is a self-built, AMD 64-bit chip; the laptop is a Compaq AMD 32-bit chip. That would be the main difference.
    Upgrade to the development release of exaile failed -- exaile wouldn't play a CD; but the conkyexaile script was working in Gnome.

However, after going back to a stable/working version of exaile, it would appear to be a non-gnome issue with my system. Fvwm yields the same results as Openbox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ddnev45; November 15th, 2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    A.R.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't know what can be done here

Try re-installing dbus and python-dbus, just in case...

This might take some effort, but could you run a live cd on the PC, once booted up, install conky from the repo, and the script from the deb file, and try it out.....I

Beans

Thanks for developing such a cool script!

One of the things that I like the most is how if you're using the template file, you don't have to restart Conky to test experimental layouts.

Having worked out a template that I like, I'm wondering if you're planning on adding variables to display file name and track number...?

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by akahige View Post
    Thanks for developing such a cool script!

One of the things that I like the most is how if you're using the template file, you don't have to restart Conky to test experimental layouts.

Having worked out a template that I like, I'm wondering if you're planning on adding variables to display file name and track number...?

Cheers!
    Can do

Can you think of any other details you'll want, I can then introduce them all in one go

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    Can do

Can you think of any other details you'll want, I can then introduce them all in one go
    Awesome! Thanks!

I gave that a bit of a think and came up with the following...

Support for the rest of the major tag elements would be nice.
    • file name (w. an option to display the full path)
    • track number
    • genre
    • year

Is there a way to display info about the running playlist? Current position, total number of tracks, and playlist name could be useful.

A player status message would be very nice. It could indicate playing, paused, or stopped -- and if there was a way for the user to set custom labels for each status...

I'm not sure how you'd implement this, but it would be highly cool -- for people using the external template -- if Exaile is closed, the template output is suppressed. That will allow the Conky layout to collapse, instead of displaying a bunch of "unknown" tags. (Or at least it will appear collapsed if the conkyExaile template is the very last thing Conky displays.)

Would it be possible to suppress/collapse blank elements? It would certainly be an elegant way of getting rid of "unknown" messages for tags that aren't present.

According to this post, Conky now supports scrolling text marquees, so displaying long or complicated strings of info (e.g. a file path and title) should be fairly elegant.

I filed a backport request to get conky 1.6.1 (ships with Intrepid) moved into the Hardy repo.

Any thoughts...?

Beans
    Hidden!

Lot's of thoughts

Support for the rest of the major tag elements would be nice.
    • file name (w. an option to display the full path)
    • track number
    • genre
    • year
    That shouldn't be a problem, I'll do it for both exaile and rhythmbox scripts

Edit: All possible with the exception of the full path to the file...

Is there a way to display info about the running playlist? Current position, total number of tracks, and playlist name could be useful.
    Not sure, dont think so, as the playlist is not something exaile exposes via dbus...I think. Unlikely to happen this one.

Edit: Not possible

A player status message would be very nice. It could indicate playing, paused, or stopped -- and if there was a way for the user to set custom labels for each status...
    Again, not sure whether the dbus interface provides for this, I'll take a look. Limited documentation on the whole thing though...it would be a nice feature though, especially if you could use a font for play, pause and stop symbols

Edit: status is retrievable, I'll add a statustext option too...set it like --statustext=Playing,Paused,Stopped using a comma delimited list

I'm not sure how you'd implement this, but it would be highly cool -- for people using the external template -- if Exaile is closed, the template output is suppressed. That will allow the Conky layout to collapse, instead of displaying a bunch of "unknown" tags. (Or at least it will appear collapsed if the conkyExaile template is the very last thing Conky displays.)
    you should be able to handle this in conky, using:

Code:
    ${if_running exaile}

...conky execs...

${endif}
    Edit: works for me with rhythmbox...

Would it be possible to suppress/collapse blank elements? It would certainly be an elegant way of getting rid of "unknown" messages for tags that aren't present.
    That it not possible to cover all scenarios, as any surrounding text put into the template would also need removing, and I have no way of knowing what that is...

Edit: Not doing it

According to this post, Conky now supports scrolling text marquees, so displaying long or complicated strings of info (e.g. a file path and title) should be fairly elegant.
    I haven't tried the scrolling feature, but I would suspect you can put the necessary commands into the template, let us know how you get on.

I filed a backport request to get conky 1.6.1 (ships with Intrepid) moved into the Hardy repo.
    The backport would be nice, but compiling conky isn't hard...take a look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=706736

It's for an older version and for enabling specific functionality but you'll get the jist from it...just don't provide options to the /configure call.

You won't see any of this development happen for a while, I am busy with another project right now. When I get a chance I'll have a stab at it all though.

Chimo
    Last edited by kaivalagi; November 17th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    Lot's of thoughts
    Well, I tried to think of things that other people might find useful.

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi
    Again, not sure whether the dbus interface provides for this, I'll take a look. Limited documentation on the whole thing though...it would be a nice feature though, especially if you could use a font for play, pause and stop symbols
    That would be pretty sweet!

you should be able to handle this in conky, using:

Code:
    $if_running exaile

...conky execs...

$endif
    I must be missing something about how if_running works.

In trying this:

Code:
    ${if_running exaile}
    ${execp conkyExaile --template=/home/michael/.conkyExaile.template}
    ${endif}
    I get nothing at all -- the template doesn't load. From what I've read, it should work, but...

And even if it was working, because it's called from conkyrc, would it dynamically come and go if you were opening and closing Exaile? Or would you have to restart conky?

Quote Originally Posted by akahige
    That it not possible to cover all scenarios, as any surrounding text put into the template would also need removing, and I have no way of knowing what that is...
    That's a good point. But if there wasn't any surrounding text, it could work, right?

I haven't tried the scrolling feature, but I would suspect you can put the necessary commands into the template, let us know how you get on.
    I'll do that. The obvious test would be a file name with path (on a network share), but since conkyExaile doesn't support that yet (and I'm still running conky 1.5.1), I'll have to hold off for awhile.

You won't see any of this development happen for a while, I am busy with another project right now. When I get a chance I'll have a stab at it all though.

Chimo
    Thanks for considering my suggestions. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast