Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Conky Exaile Python Script

Beans

Re: Conky Exaile Python Script

How often do we need to be updating everything?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by trueplay View Post
    How often do we need to be updating everything?
    Your call I guess it really depends on how "in the know" you are with everything.

The last few posts are around a bzr based exaile, which you could class as Alpha/Beta...it's a development release, but does give good hints on what to expect with a future standard release.

If not sure then stick to the norm and you'll be fine, only if there are things not working for you should you think about updating from source code etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
    Alright, lets get to it. I did get dbus output for progress and percent complete, etc.. (IsPlaying returned a 0 for some reason though). I know that Exaile is fine with dbus- Its communicating with Pidgin just fine (just found that out).
    If you want to debug then it will take some serious background reading and a lot of setup. You'll need to get Eclipse installed and add the pydev plugin for starters. Then pull down the source, and run it through in debug mode of eclipse to see what is breaking things...

The alternative is if I put print statements throughout the py file that indicate where exactly the error is happening...I know what section of code it happens in already.

Option 2?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    If you want to debug then it will take some serious background reading and a lot of setup. You'll need to get Eclipse installed and add the pydev plugin for starters. Then pull down the source, and run it through in debug mode of eclipse to see what is breaking things...

The alternative is if I put print statements throughout the py file that indicate where exactly the error is happening...I know what section of code it happens in already.

Option 2?
    Sounds find to me. You mean that I will get print statements in the terminal when I run conkyExaile? Im assuming so.. I will do number 1 actually, as coincidentally im trying to learn python myself, so it would be good help. But for now, we can go route 2. Not enough time in the day, at least for me...

Actually, if its going to be a PITA for you, we can do option 1. No need to waste a ton of your time.. I will be crashing soon, so option 1 will most likely take place tonight.
    Last edited by GSF1200S; March 10th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans
    Hidden!

Sounds find to me. You mean that I will get print statements in the terminal when I run conkyExaile? Im assuming so.. I will do number 1 actually, as coincidentally im trying to learn python myself, so it would be a good help. But for now, we can go route 2. Not enough time in the day, at least for me...
    Modified py file attached, yes it will just print keywords as it goes through the logic, when the error occurs we'll know which part of the code caused it...maybe if it comes to that I can put further checks and more data output to then see what on earth is up

By all means get eclipse and pydev setup locally, and bring down the source from lp...then I can help out (time permitting for both of us of course). Python is really straight forward, if you've done any sort of development of code/scripts etc then it will be a doddle.

BTW, just waiting for my provisional motorbike license, so I can start the arduous task of getting the license (bloody hard in the UK). I'll be jumping on a Kawa 250R Ninja once through that hell, I could get on something like your nickname but I think I'll be taking it a step at a time
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kaivalagi; March 10th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Modified py file attached, yes it will just print keywords as it goes through the logic, when the error occurs we'll know which part of the code caused it...maybe if it comes to that I can put further checks and more data output to then see what on earth is up

By all means get eclipse and pydev setup locally, and bring down the source from lp...then I can help out (time permitting for both of us of course). Python is really straight forward, if you've done any sort of development of code/scripts etc then it will be a doddle.

BTW, just waiting for my provisional motorbike license, so I can start the arduous task of getting the license (bloody hard in the UK). I'll be jumping on a Kawa 250R Ninja once through that hell, I could get on something like your nickname but I think I'll be taking it a step at a time
    Interesting note:
    Code:
    [poeticrpm@geekdom ~]$ conkyExaile -r -s
    *** test for dbus service
    *** remote object 1
    *** remote object 2
    *** isplaying and get status
    *** coverart retrieval
    *** cover art manip
    *** title
    *** album
    *** artist
    *** genre
    *** date
    *** tracknumber
    *** filename
    *** length
    *** length manip
    *** current pos per
    *** current pos
    *** volume
    Un-United Kingdom (Fuzz Townshend Mix)
    Thats the name of the song Im playing, but conky's terminal is still, as it has been from the start, returning:
    Code:
    ERROR: Issue calling the dbus service:invalid literal for float(): None
    It seems to me that Exaile is fine on dbus, and conkyExaile is working, as it is obviously printing the song title playing in Exaile. Are you sure this is an issue with your script?

**EDIT** Ive been riding a while, and that bike still threatens my life at times. A 250 is a great bike, even beyond the whole "starter" aspect. You will likely be a better rider than most the guys who jump on literbikes right out of the gate.. Be careful out there! I dont know about the UK, but the drivers here in the US do NOT see motorcyclists (better in Florida than California in that respect though).

**EDIT2** Haha, I realized what a coincidence my song above was. I dont suppose you like Pitchshifter?
    Last edited by GSF1200S; March 10th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+

Beans
    Distro

**Delete**
    Last edited by GSF1200S; March 10th, 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Interesting note:
    Code:
    [poeticrpm@geekdom ~]$ conkyExaile -r -s
    *** test for dbus service
    *** remote object 1
    *** remote object 2
    *** isplaying and get status
    *** coverart retrieval
    *** cover art manip
    *** title
    *** album
    *** artist
    *** genre
    *** date
    *** tracknumber
    *** filename
    *** length
    *** length manip
    *** current pos per
    *** current pos
    *** volume
    Un-United Kingdom (Fuzz Townshend Mix)
    Thats the name of the song Im playing, but conky's terminal is still, as it has been from the start, returning:
    Code:
    ERROR: Issue calling the dbus service:invalid literal for float(): None
    It seems to me that Exaile is fine on dbus, and conkyExaile is working, as it is obviously printing the song title playing in Exaile. Are you sure this is an issue with your script?

**EDIT** Ive been riding a while, and that bike still threatens my life at times. A 250 is a great bike, even beyond the whole "starter" aspect. You will likely be a better rider than most the guys who jump on literbikes right out of the gate.. Be careful out there! I dont know about the UK, but the drivers here in the US do NOT see motorcyclists (better in Florida than California in that respect though).

**EDIT2** Haha, I realized what a coincidence my song above was. I dont suppose you like Pitchshifter?
    Definitely not Exaile and conkyExaile, looks like something with Conky...are you sure you're calling the same script from your conkyrc? Just checking...

No way will I jump on a big bike, and yes people in the UK don't see bikes either! I will have a bright green bike with matching bash hat and fluorescent jacket! But I'll still get bloody hit! To be fair I plan on travelling most of my time on motorways which should keep the risk down a lot. But, yes, I will be extra extra cautious - expecting everyone to hit me! I plan on a bike no bigger than 600cc long term, another Ninja me thinks...but who knows what's out there in a couple of years screaming for me to buy it

Beans
    Distro

Definitely not Exaile and conkyExaile, looks like something with Conky...are you sure you're calling the same script from your conkyrc? Just checking...

No way will I jump on a big bike, and yes people in the UK don't see bikes either! I will have a bright green bike with matching bash hat and fluorescent jacket! But I'll still get bloody hit! To be fair I plan on travelling most of my time on motorways which should keep the risk down a lot. But, yes, I will be extra extra cautious - expecting everyone to hit me! I plan on a bike no bigger than 600cc long term, another Ninja me thinks...but who knows what's out there in a couple of years screaming for me to buy it
    I have good news! I now have it working, kind of! The status always says playing (even if I pause), however it correctly reflects stopped. It doesnt import album art (not a dealbreaker) either. Also, the time always shows 0:00 for the total song length. Honestly, I wouldnt mind removing the time and status- mainly interested in the song and album art. I accomplished this by modifying my conkyrc exaile line to:
    Code:
    conkyExaile -t ~/.conkycolors/templates/conkyPlayer.template
    Prior to this change, it was attempting to call a conkyexaile executable in ~/.conkycolors/bin/ and THEN call this template.

Also, I went back to the version of conkyExaile.py you sent me approximately 2 times ago (the one before the one prior to the annotated one you sent), and it did NOT work. Updating to the one directly before the annotated one fixed the issues for me. This is good because I feel like I didnt completely waste your time

I still get that error message, but at least it works now.

I say go ahead and role out a new release Included a screenshot so you can see what I mean about the time issue..

Thanks, and let me know if you need any more testing from me.

**EDIT** Haha, a 600cc ninja is still a VERY powerful bike, so youll have to be careful when you end up on one (and you will you cannot prevent such purchases ) Thats really good about the coloring- alot of people want black and "cool" looking. I have a black and white leather jacket thats very easy to see at night, along with a fluorescent vest if Im taking long trips. As you probably know, there are three big things to look out for:
    1) People making a right turn in front of you (left turn for here in the US) without seeing you. Of motorcycle wrecks with a car, this is almost 70% of the fatalities in the US.
    2) Getting rear-ended
    3) Single vehicle wreck (pushing it too hard and going low-side/high-side/off the road)
    Im not familiar with England, but if im aware correctly you have more turnabouts as opposed to lights, which for motorcycles is very good. Sounds like you'll be fine though- you have a good attitude!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GSF1200S; March 11th, 2010 at 02:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Heres what it looks like (finally). It doesnt really matter that I cannot import the album art- I just use Exaile's Desktop Cover plugin and put it right below conky. Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast