Thread: Does Ubuntu Studio have a graphical Installer?

Beans

Does Ubuntu Studio have a graphical Installer?

title explains it all.
    please help. im going to need to tripple boot my new pc with XP vista, and ubuntu studio. i know that the Kubuntu and Ubuntu CDs have really awesome partitioning tools built into the graphical installer.
    if its too hard for me, how would i put the ubuntu studio kernel in normal ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Does Ubuntu Studio have a graphical Installer?

Your best bet (and what I do) will be to install the regular ubuntu desktop CD. Once that is finished, open synaptic and search for "Ubuntu Studio". Check everything (that you actually want to install) for installation, and hit apply. Once it finishes, reboot and select the real-time kernel, and you will be in a full-fledge Ubuntu Studio environment.
    That way you a) don't waste a DVD, b) get a graphical installer, and c) don't necessarily install ALL of the Ubuntu Studio packages if you don't want them all.
    Those who don't understand UNIX are doomed to reimpliment it... poorly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

IIRC, I don't think it does. Not before you check the components you want to install, one of the components that you may choose not to install (I don't know how on earth) is Ubuntu desktop!!!
    I installed Ubuntu Studio like two weeks ago on a Dell Vostro 1400 from the live dvd. Very smooth installation. Updates couldn't be smoother, restarted and then the wireless is working no more. My guess is that the driver got lost when the kernel was updated, but don't have the time to fix it.
    Overall, I think it's very nice and worth the trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu Studio only has a text based installer.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ladr0n View Post
    Your best bet (and what I do) will be to install the regular ubuntu desktop CD. Once that is finished, open synaptic and search for "Ubuntu Studio". Check everything (that you actually want to install) for installation, and hit apply. Once it finishes, reboot and select the real-time kernel, and you will be in a full-fledge Ubuntu Studio environment.
    That way you a) don't waste a DVD, b) get a graphical installer, and c) don't necessarily install ALL of the Ubuntu Studio packages if you don't want them all.
    sounds like a possible plan, thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ladr0n View Post
    just tried that. no results are found

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d3drocks View Post
    title explains it all.
    please help. im going to need to tripple boot my new pc with XP vista, and ubuntu studio. i know that the Kubuntu and Ubuntu CDs have really awesome partitioning tools built into the graphical installer.
    if its too hard for me, how would i put the ubuntu studio kernel in normal ubuntu?
    If all you want is the kernel, 'sudo apt-get install linux-rt'.

It should appear at grub the next time you boot up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d3drocks View Post
    just tried that. no results are found
    Try searching for 'ubuntustudio' without the space.
    Which version of Ubuntu are you using? Gutsy and Hardy, it's in the main repository. Feisty or earlier, you have to add a repository:

http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/05/...buntu-install/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Try searching for 'ubuntustudio' without the space.
    Which version of Ubuntu are you using? Gutsy and Hardy, it's in the main repository. Feisty or earlier, you have to add a repository:

http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/05/...buntu-install/
    I'm on 8.04 Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just do it with Synaptic. You can see all the packages and choose the ones you want. I recently got just the Ununtustudio audio part for my amd64 hardy and it was painless, though a very big download. rt kernel and all installed without a hitch.

A warning though. If you are using drivers you got directly from ati or nvidia the rt kernel may fail. It happened to me on my 32 bit hardy ubuntustudio. The best thing would be to remove these drivers and reinstall them after you get the rt kernel working.