Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux support for TomTom Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

I also own TomTom GO930 and would like to make it work with Linux. As far as I know it's not possible to make it work under Wine properly but there is another way maybe we could do it. Making your PC pretending that it is a GPRS capable telephone connected over bluetooth.

There is howto, little outdated and for rpm (fedora) but still we can have an idea about the way. I'll try to find out about that soon and if you also want to check that this is the link to the page:

http://www.fenrus.org/tomtom/

I found, this morning, that the bluez, bluetooth application that come from the box in Ubuntu 8.10, is the one TomTom use to connect to devices. At least models: Tom Tom GO300, GO500, GO700, RIDER, ONE, ONE (EDR version), and I presume that my GO930 also use it but as it is brand new model they forget to mention it. This is a good news in our research and I wish you, guys, also get there to help us find solution. I feel that this will be small job of configuration to make the pc pretend that it is a GPRS capable telephone. Here is official page of bluez:

http://www.bluez.org/qualification/

My question for TomTom support service
    I found you are using bluez as bluetooth connection application. I am Linux Ubuntu user and bluez come in Ubuntu from the box. I am wondering if we could make our PC pretend that it is a GPRS capable telephone and update our TomTom device that way? Any idea, please let us know?
    Last edited by pedja_portugalac; December 18th, 2008 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Exclamation Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

I got sick and tired of this issue. I just started a new thread about what I've decided to do about it.

Check it out.

Or, if you don't want to read that thread, just jump to the good stuff HERE.

Please spread the word. If you come across any Ubuntu or TomTom/GPS websites, please post the link above. I believe if the demand is visible, TomTom will come around.
    Last edited by YMS_1975; October 17th, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
    Oh you'll get yours, Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Tomtom do not support Linux. I contacted their tech support and was told to use a compatible computer. However, there are no specifications on the box and there is no reason for me to assume they don't cater for Linux, so I'm pretty annoyed by this.

The tech support droid told me that my comments would be passed to "second line", but I responded and told him I consider this to be rude, and that I would like to be reimbursed for the difference between my experience of the product and that of a Windows or Mac user. We will indeed see what happens next. Nothing, I bet.

Note - Tomtom HOME will not work in WINE, as WINE can't do the do with USB.
    Bazzer

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

It is utter lack of respect for the customers that tom tom is not willing to release software for the linux user. I condemn it. I will advice my friends not to buy tom tom.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by prakashkashyap View Post
    It is utter lack of respect for the customers that tom tom is not willing to release software for the linux user. I condemn it. I will advice my friends not to buy tom tom.
    Chill out. Tom Tom is not en enormous company, and you'd probably be surprised at how few developers they have.

(Disclaimer: I have no connection or inside knowledge about the company, but I've worked for enough small companies to know how their resources are usually allocated.)

Naturally they're going to support the most popular platforms first. They actually seem like a fairly open company (compared to Garmin), and they've definitely shown willingness to consider a Linux port. But when it comes to limited development resources and priorities, which do you think ranks higher: fixing important bugs in the Windows/Mac software, adding new features to help sell the product, or supporting a niche platform for which there MAY be workarounds* anyway?

That said, hopefully linux-based netbooks might help push the numbers in our favor.

In the meantime, sign the petition.

Charles

* - Note that for them a reasonable workaround is: borrow someone else's PC. What percentage of Linux users do you think would be unable to use that solution? 10%? 20%? Of the 1-2% linux desktop portion of the market? Of course, I would be in that group, but I can't imagine that it would be a hugely significant portion of their overall market.

P.S. 1saleaday.com is selling refurbished TomTom's at 70% off today only.
    (I'm not connected with them either, except as a customer.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a Tomtom XL 30 and have been having similar problems. Even though Ubuntu/Wine/VirtualBox won't recognise the GPS as a USB device, Ubuntu will recognise it as a mountable external drive. Once mounted, the whole directory structure and contents are browseable.

I pointed this out to Tomtom and suggested that if things like maps, map corrections and GPS fixes could be made available as downloadable files then it wouldn't be a hard job at all to copy them into the relevant directories on the Tomtom.

Their reply was to "get more people to write to us. The more requests we have for Home for Linux, the more likely we are to develop it".

So there's the answer. Get writing in.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

OK, well my Refurbished TomTom ONE 3rd Edition arrived from 1saleaday.com yesterday.

I think I've almost managed to get the HOME software running under Wine on Kubuntu 8.04 (hardy heron). Here's what I've done so far:

* When I plugged it into the USB port and told it to connect to the computer, it auto-mounted on /media/INTERNAL.

* Having previously installed the winehq verison of wine (which seems to be broken), I did a "complete removal" uninstall and re-installed from Hardy Updates. The only reason I mention this is because when I then went into the Wine part of "systemsettings" (under the Advanced tab), it saw /media/INTERNAL and mapped it to the D: drive. If I hadn't gone into systemsettings/Wine with a clean installation, I'm guessing I'd have had to add /media/INTERNAL manually.

* Download the current version of winetricks:

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

put it somewhere in your path, and do a "chmod +x winetricks" to make it executable. (More information on winetricks can be found on this page).

* Run winetricks as your regular user (not root) to install some support libraries:

winetricks dotnet20 vcrun2005sp1 ie6

That will download and install several freely-available software packages from Microsoft and may take a while. If it looks like it has hung at some stage, give it at least 5-10 minutes before you attempt to kill it. Occasionally you should see Windows-like dialogs popping up asking you to approve licenses and such. (Legal Disclaimer: make sure you meet the Legal requirements of each license before accepting it.) Approve everything and let it install in the default ways.

* Then "cd /media/INTERNAL" and launch "wine InstallTomTomHOME.exe". Answer the usual questions and it should install fine. Then it will attempt to run, and it seems to work. When I did this, I hadn't installed ie6 yet, and it popped up a dialog asking me which app to run for "https:". I'm assuming that having IE installed should help with that.

* Once you have it installed, you should be able to run it by doing:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/TomTom\ HOME\ 2/
    wine TomTomHOME.exe

Anyway, you end up with a nice dialog with big buttons for updating your TomTom or purchasing maps and stuff. At that point, I wimped out. I don't really want the "update" to fail in the middle, at least not without a backup... I'm making a backup now, then I'll try again and see what happens.

Update: OK, well I guess it really doesn't work. The problem is that it doesn't detect the TomTom device. I'll try again tomorrow. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Update 2: OK, I guess the problem is that Wine doesn't really support USB ... yet. Though http://wiki.winehq.org/USB seems to indicate that it might be possible if you're willing to build your own Wine from the latest bleeding-edge source. It looks like if TomTom wanted to put out a Linux version, they could get about 90% of the way there by using winelib and just implementing a Linux-native version of their USB interface.

OK, so now I know why Wine won't work. What's the problem with using VirtualBox?
    Last edited by cdurst; June 12th, 2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Update2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What e-mail address should I be sending complaints to?

I just purchased a TomTom GPS device for my father as I (wrongly) assumed it would work with Linux due to them using the Linux kernel and releasing modified versions of their software to the FOSS community.

I'm pretty darn ticked off they don't support Linux either, especially because no one in my family own's a Mac or Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What e-mail address should I be sending complaints to?
    I just used their usual support question system to ask them (nicely) how I can run TomTom HOME on Linux.

The response I got back (minus the marketing fluff), said:
    Due to software issues, our TomTom Home program is not compatible with Linux. We do not have any software available for it at this time. We apologize for any frustration this may cause. We currently have software available for:

Windows (latest service packs recommended):

-XP

-Vista

Mac:
    -OS X 10.3.9 or higher

We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may have caused you.
    Anyway, since then I have found out that it is possible to do it if you are willing to run Windows XP inside the non-free (but zero cost) version of VirtualBox and then share the Linux TomTom USB device into the virtualized system. It worked for me on Jaunty (9.04) with the latest version of VirtualBox (2.2.4) with my TomTom ONE 3rd Edition.

It was able to update the software and maps on the TomTom, and everything seems to work fine, so far.

Charles
    Last edited by cdurst; June 17th, 2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Removed accidental icon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry for bumping an old post, but I thought I would share my current experience.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 on an Acer 5536 Laptop. Running Wine 1.01, and installed TomTom HOME 1.5.106.

My TomTom Device was detected on Ubuntu as a removable device and it gave it a nice TomTom icon on the desktop. It was mounted as /media/TOMTOM.

I configured the drives wine saw when I plugged in the USB Cable and it detected the TomTom as a removable drive. I then fired up TomTom HOME and changed the device to point to /media/TOMTOM and it connected fine, with updates and installation.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast