Thread: [SOLVED] Restarting crashed application

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] Restarting crashed application

I'm new to Ubuntu and started using Amarok. It has frozen up a couple of times, and so I've done what I would have in windows - clicked the "close" x, and selected "force quit" when I'm told the program isn't responding. But after amarok shuts down like this, I can't get it to restart without restarting my whole computer. The icon's still there but nothing loads when I click it. What's going on here? Is it a specific problem with Amarok, or is this standard for applications in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Restarting crashed application

Go to a terminal and type:
    Code:
    killall amarok
    Then type:
    Code:
    amarok
    and hit enter

Beans

Probably the application didn't terminate properly, you can force it to exit by issuing the command

Code:
    killall amarok
    from the terminal, or you can get a task manager type application by hitting alt+f2 then typing gnome-system-monitor if you prefer to have a look for yourself at all running processes.
    If you found the solution to your problem, or not - please come back and tell us. If it worked, mark the thread as solved, if it didn't ask for further help. A thankyou never hurts, too! A question is the beginning of knowledge.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks, I'll try that next time it happens. And thanks for directing me to the system monitor, I'd been wondering where something like that was.