Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will this work as a ubuntu sever?

Beans

Re: Will this work as a ubuntu sever?

have you tried just rebooting after it's installed?

Beans

hey rebooted ...did not work i had to download about 66 files and it now works running GUI very happy and i am very happy i have to flowed this guide http://www.zaphu.com/2007/08/21/ubun...l-and-cgi-bin/ and it has got my ubuntu sever working on lan yay! as i can view a small website a made now i would like to know how to get my sever working on the Internet so every one can see my website any one know of a noob friendly guide that will show me how to do so?

also running 8.04 on 256 mb of ram is pushing it a little sluggish at some times"when i have about 2+ apps running lol" it should be fine to sever web sites any way

thanks
    housedog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by baudday View Post
    I would suggest getting the server edition and if you're not comfortable with command line (like me) you can install a GUI. Server edition allows you to install various servers like LAMP mail print samba. To install a GUI over it you just issue a very simple command depending on what GUI you want

Just FYI, you can install all that stuff easily on the desktop edition also. If you really have to have a GUI and you're just doing a small home server, there is really no reason to load server and put a GUI on it. You're kinda defeating the purpose of the product.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by housedog View Post
    and it now works running GUI very happy
    Nice to hear that you got it fixed.

Ubuntu desktop will be a little slow on 256mb ram. You can also try openbox which is much ligher. Either install it yourself using urukrama'a guide or use crunchbag which already uses openbox.

The best is of course getting used to command line and using no gui at all. See the links in CLI in my sig to improve your command line.

Beans

thanks for the replys guys

dose any one know a noob friendly guide for hosting websites on the sever i just made

thanks
    housedog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12