Thread: Delete partition ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Delete partition ?

Hi All

Friend of mine has had someone create a partion on their XP hard drive . They want to get rid of it now. Been such a long time since I used windows can some one please advise.
    The drive is about 40 gigs and there is a 600mb partition been made to hold a software program. The program (Virtual spine/anatomy) does not seem to want to work . I think it was created to be used with daemon tools or something ,so the original disc did not have to be loaded every time the software was used.My Chinese is nil so I cant really get an answer to why this is there.
    Whats the safest way to delete this and can the resulting space be incorporated with the rest of the disc ?
    Thanks
    Steve
    Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 20545

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Delete partition ?

you could boot the ubuntu live-cd and use the partitioner (gparted) to delete the partition, and expand an other partition to take up the empty space, or you could download the 'gparted live-cd' from here:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

best of luck
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Delete partition ?

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    you could boot the ubuntu live-cd and use the partitioner (gparted) to delete the partition, and expand an other partition to take up the empty space, or you could download the 'gparted live-cd' from here:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

best of luck
    DOH!! Now why didn't I think of that?
    Times like this I wish I had an external Hard drive to back up a drive.
    Cheers Mate
    Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 20545