Thread: [SOLVED] Cannot boot

Beans

[SOLVED] Cannot boot

Hi.

I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server-i386 and ran it through virtual PC, but when it comes time to boot itself it can't because I don't have kernel 0:6 or something like that.

I asked a friend of mine but he doesn't work Linux so he didn't really know, only that it was something to do with my CPU PAE.

He suggested downloading the Desktop version of Ubuntu, what I want to know is would this work? If not, what Linux OS and version would work?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot boot

Quote Originally Posted by Deltoro View Post
    Hi.

I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server-i386 and ran it through virtual PC, but when it comes time to boot itself it can't because I don't have kernel 0:6 or something like that.

I asked a friend of mine but he doesn't work Linux so he didn't really know, only that it was something to do with my CPU PAE.

He suggested downloading the Desktop version of Ubuntu, what I want to know is would this work? If not, what Linux OS and version would work?

Thanks in advance.
    So do you want a server? If yes then a server edition is good, problem is that it doesn't have a GUI installed, and that the applications there are limited out of the box.

For your desktop... well the desktop 32 bit edition is the best, it has a lot of applications out of the box and that it works!
    ~humanity to everyone and everything~

Beans

Well, I want to use it as both a server & desktop.
    If the Desktop edition doesn't require the PAE kernel I'd download it. Do you know if it will work?
    Last edited by Deltoro; September 19th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.

Beans

bump

Beans

Okay, fixed the problem. Can't virtual PC it because I think virtualbox can only support 32bit while Ubuntu is 64, I just installed it directly to my hard drive and it worked...

Glad you got it working.

Please don't bump your thread until 24 hours have gone by. Thank you.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine