Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] GRUB Error 17 (then 21)

Beans

Re: GRUB Error 17 (then 21)

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    Reboot, and see if Grub works now. Let me know how it goes.
    Fantastic ! I now have everything back as it was. Thank you very much.
    I'm not entirely sure how, or what was going on with the instructions you gave (especially with regard to recovering the 'deleted' partitions) but am very grateful. I will have to try and work my way through the stages, to see if I can work out what was happening.

The only niggle now is that it is very noticeable how much better the graphics, text sizes, etc. were while I was using the Live CD, as compared to how they are now running under my NVIDAI (GeForce 8600M GT) graphics card. I wasn't too happy with how it looked previously, but got used to it.
    The current screen resolution is 1280x800 and when I try to increase it to 1280x1024 the text gets a lot bigger and I can only view a quarter of the screen at a time.
    Also, when I log on the laptop, the name and password boxes are only barely visible at the bottom right of the screen, as if the resolution has been turned to 1280x1024 (as above). When I get to the desktop, the resolution reverts back to 1280x800.
    The Hardware Drivers screen shows the graphics card enabled and in use but the resolution, etc. suggest otherwise.

Any ideas ? Don't worry if you haven't, because this probably isn't the right forum : I will try a search to see if others have had the same problem.

Thanks again for helping me recover from the previous disaster !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Finny33, I'm glad to read you are booting again.
    To fix the resolution problem, perhaps take a look at
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fi...esolutionHowto

It has a fix for the login window problem in the section entitled "GDM uses a different Resolution than my Desktop"

It also contains instructions on how to fix most resolution problems that occur from within your GNOME session.

Beans

You're welcome, I'm glad you are at least past your Grub problems. About your Video concerns, are you using the Nvidia restricted driver for your card (and is it enabled in System > Admin/Prefs > Restricted Drivers)? If not, that might be a good place to start. Other than that, I'm not too experienced troubleshooting video problems, but I would definitely follow Unutbu's advice. And if that doesn't solve it, I think your best bet will be to start a new thread with that as the topic. Anyway, cheers and have fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would highly recommend that you run testdisk on your HDD and see if it can rebuild your partition table correctly. If you have your Live CD, and if you can use the internet from the Live CD, just do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install testdisk
    sudo testdisk
    You may need to enable all your repositories in System > Prefs > Software Sources in order to download testdisk. After starting testdisk with the above command, choose "no log", select HDD and "proceed", "Intel", "Analyze", and see what it shows for your HDD and what errors it might give. Please post the output of that screen. Then do "proceed", Y/N depending on if you have any Vista partitions, hit enter, and select "search!" so it does a deeper search, which could take a while. Post the output of that screen also.
    Hey, might this work for my problem as well?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=925877
    CPU AMD Athlon X2 Processor 5000+ 2.61GHz) | RAM 2 x 2GB (667MHz DDR2) | Hard Drive 500GB SATA (OS) & 1.5TB SATA (data) | Graphics nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB | Sound Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lewisskinner View Post
    Hey, might this work for my problem as well?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=925877
    It certainly can't hurt to check your partition table with testdisk to make sure everything is OK. If you want help with it, then follow the directions you quoted and post the output, and also post:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

thanks, tried it, continued on the thread I quoted
    CPU AMD Athlon X2 Processor 5000+ 2.61GHz) | RAM 2 x 2GB (667MHz DDR2) | Hard Drive 500GB SATA (OS) & 1.5TB SATA (data) | Graphics nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB | Sound Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    Finny33, I'm glad to read you are booting again.
    To fix the resolution problem, perhaps take a look at
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fi...esolutionHowto

It has a fix for the login window problem in the section entitled "GDM uses a different Resolution than my Desktop"

It also contains instructions on how to fix most resolution problems that occur from within your GNOME session.
    I have had a quick look there and it does seem to be somewhere I might be able to solve that particular problem. Thanks for the link. I have only been using Ubuntu for a few months and haven't really had a chance to check out all the 'help' and 'how-to' pages available here. Now I know, I will be looking at as many as possible !

And if that doesn't solve it, I think your best bet will be to start a new thread with that as the topic. Anyway, cheers and have fun.
    Will do ! Thanks again for all your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12