Thread: Evince, or Document Viewer cannot find firefox when clicking hyperlinks in PDFs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Evince, or Document Viewer cannot find firefox when clicking hyperlinks in PDFs

When I click on a hyperlink in a PDF using evince (AKA Document Viewer), evince looks for /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox which doesn't exist anymore due to an upgrade from Dapper to Hardy and the new Firefox version 3.0.1.

I could make that folder and put a symbolic link to the firefox binary, but I am looking for a more elegant solution. I have been trying to look for an evince configuration file but have been unsuccessful, and the evince man page is anything but helpful.

Anyone have any ideas?

Beans

Re: Evince, or Document Viewer cannot find firefox when clicking hyperlinks in PDFs

Seeing as Evince is a gnome application I would expect that it is looking for the default browser as defined in System>Preferences>Preferred Applications. Unfortunately I am not on my Ubuntu machine to confirm this but it is quite easy to confirm that the browser defined there points to your current Firefox.
    Registered Linux User #464572
    journal.ryanhaigh.net
    www.ryanhaigh.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Evince, or Document Viewer cannot find firefox when clicking hyperlinks in PDFs

I never replied to how I solved this! I will take a stab at it now for those that may need this:

I took ryanhaigh's suggestion to heart, thinking that it might be the Ubuntu OS rather than evince that was sugesting the incorect location to the browser.

The following link was helpful:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubunt...-command-line/

Solution:
    to summarize, use the
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
    and select the number for the corresponding browser you want to be default. In my case it was /usr/bin/firefox-3.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Evince, or Document Viewer cannot find firefox when clicking hyperlinks in PDFs

Quote Originally Posted by ryanhaigh View Post
    System>Preferences>Preferred Applications. Unfortunately I am not on my Ubuntu machine to confirm this but it is quite easy to confirm that the browser defined there points to your current Firefox.
    It's work!!! thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

My problem seems a bit different, in that hyperlinks in pdf files viewed in Evince don't even register. The curser doesn't change when over the link, and no link info appears. So it's not a case of not being able to find Firefox - it's not even recognising that a link exists. Any thoughts?

Xubuntu 12.04, Evince 3.4.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.