Thread: [SOLVED] Can I update virtualbox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[SOLVED] Can I update virtualbox?

I currently have Virtualbox 1.6.6 installed. I have Windows Vista installed in virtualbox and I want to have the newest version of VB. Is there a way to update or install the new version and keep Vista installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can I update virtualbox?

If I recall correctly, you can update to VBox 2.0 with no changes to your VM

You could always backup the .vdi file just in case

Beans

Just to confirm, updating the virtualbox program won't affect your virtual machines. It is also a good idea to back up your virtual machines just in case

VBoxManage clonevdi source destination

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I upgraded Virtual Box myself today by removing it (in Synaptic) then installing the latest version. I can confirm that, when you remove/ install it, the settings for the virtual machines are not removed. These are stored in ~/.VirtualBox. As others have mentioned though, it's good to have a backup, just in case.
    Everything that has a Beginning, has an End

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, so I went to the virtualbox site and added the repository. I then installed it in Synaptic, which uninstalled the old one and installed the new one. Works perfectly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just install the .deb using dpkg -i 'package'.
    Do remember to reinstall your guest additions though.

Have fun
    Ecclesiastes 3

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Can I update virtualbox?

I installed virtualbox following a HOWTO on this site and following the link in the HOWTO I installed 1.5.6. So I tried to upgrade to 2.1. I should note that earlier I had the OSE version installed but I successfully uninstalled it and added 1.5.6. Now I uninstalled 1.5.6 and am trying to add 2.1. I get the following error:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/virtualbox-2.1_2.1.4-42893%5fUbuntu%5fhardy_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/misc/vboxdrv.ko', which is also in package virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24-23-generic

Thinking something was left behind from Virtualbox-OSE I marked it for complete removal in the Synaptic Package Manager, rebooted and tried again. Same error. The file mentioned '/lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/misc/vboxdrv.ko' does not exist on my system, at least that I can tell so I can't figure out how to fix this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Can I update virtualbox?

Fixed it. Stupid me. In the synaptic package manager I scrolled down and there were many OSE module packages. Down near the bottom were a couple that were still installed. After marking those for complete removal it worked fine. Sorry for the interruption.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Can I update virtualbox?

Quote Originally Posted by slughappy1 View Post
    Yeah, so I went to the virtualbox site and added the repository. I then installed it in Synaptic, which uninstalled the old one and installed the new one. Works perfectly
    Thanks, it worked great! Followed the instructions on this page: Virtualbox for linux

Quote Originally Posted by WRDN View Post
    I upgraded Virtual Box myself today by removing it (in Synaptic) then installing the latest version. I can confirm that, when you remove/ install it, the settings for the virtual machines are not removed. These are stored in ~/.VirtualBox. As others have mentioned though, it's good to have a backup, just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Just to confirm, updating the virtualbox program won't affect your virtual machines. It is also a good idea to back up your virtual machines just in case

VBoxManage clonevdi source destination
    Backed up though, just in case.

Cheers!