Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Configuring Acer 6920 Hardware

Beans

Re: Configuring Acer 6920 Hardware

thank you so much for this guide, i followed the steps from this site
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound
    and now i have sounds o my acer 6920 again!
    the only problem is that it is much quieter than i was expecting, is this normal for linux? my only other problem is that the volume control next to the time and date on the "start bar" does work, when i click it i get this message - "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found." is this normal? do i need to get a new app to fix this? i am very new to this OS so the simpler the solution the better.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh im sorry i totally forgot about the volume control, for that you will have to use ossxmix

go into your system > preferences > session in there add the program "ossxmix" you can name it whatever, this will let ossmix start with login. You can either way start it by going to the terminal and typing "ossxmix &" and enter (the & lets the computer know to run that command in the background so it doesn't keep the terminal busy)
    Last edited by CJay554; December 8th, 2008 at 08:40 PM.
    When you first dont succeed, google- google again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Great News!!! and one not so great...

ALSA has a new updated driver that works nicely with Ubuntu and our beloved acer 6920's!!

Bad News... Ubuntu 8.10 still encorporates a lower version of the driver, so you would have to manually install the alsa driver...

heres the guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto
    the newest one so far i believe is 1.0.18 (the one i installed)

Mic still doesn't work tho..
    After install make sure to unmute all of your sounds (PCM, front, mic, master, etc)
    i had some odd problems with it but it turned out everything was mute after the install

Also, when editing the "options snd-hda-intel model=MODEL" for MODEL put in "auto" without the quotes.

Don't expect the CineDash to work however.. for some reason it looses its functionality after the driver update... but at least now you HAVE sound o.o

I'll incorporate this into the full guide once everyone is able to settle this and confirm that it works.

Cheers!
    Last edited by CJay554; December 7th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great news CJay!

I am lame, so I will wait for guide. Also I have installed ossxmix, so for me it will be harder, cuz I must uninstall it first I guess(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

edit double

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I edited a script to encorporate 1.0.18 (latest driver) to install on your system:
    (note you need ALSA to be installed, if u already installed OSS4 follow the link at the end of this post to reinstall ALSA)

just download this to your home folder:

http://www.box.net/shared/454ic17as0

then go to your terminal and do these commands:

Code:

sudo chmod +x alsa_setup_1.0.18.sh
    sudo ./alsa_setup_1.0.18.sh
    each line seperately.

It will download the 1.0.18a drivers from the alsa-project site and automatically install it on your system. It will also automatically restart your computer when its done, so make sure your not working on anything and save everything you are working on. Will take ~10 mins

After restart come back to ubuntu and report if your sound works so i can update my guide.

Cheers!

[ADD]

If you have already installed OSS4 and want to go back to ALSA and then try the script above, follow the first post here (#331): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5539687
    Last edited by CJay554; December 8th, 2008 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

No luck for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Don't get get me wrong cjay you've been a great help to us all I just want to thank you for your hard work. I'm still a noob at this stuff and until linux sinks down into my head will I understand how its works. Meanwhile can you give me a command to review the new alsa i just downloaded thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just wanted to see if the installation will work as is with the commands to install, now do this:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    then add this to the end of the file:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto
    press ctrl+x then press Y to save changes and then enter to save.

then restart your system: The model=auto will tell the alsa to look at the bios for your sound card version/etc, and because this is a laptop the bios will have all hardware information.

now as you log in see if you hear the logging in sounds. If not, go into System>Preferences>sound and set all to "ALSA -Advanced Linux Sound Architecture"

then add the volume control to your panel if you haven't already: and right click on the volume control and click preferences:
    changed the device to "HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)

and underneith there will be a bunch of options "Master" , "Headphone", etc.

Highlight each one and and use the volume control on the panel to unmute all of the entries.

After that try playing some music or something.

This is the exact way i configured my soundcard to work on my 6920. Report back plz. thanks!

Oh and rab don't worry, this is a trial and error thing, it'll work soon! hopefully with these modifications. The card is already read by 8.10 we just need to configure it a little! thats it =]
    I'll add the commands and their correspoding functions when we get this settled, so lets get this over with
    Last edited by CJay554; December 9th, 2008 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yippeeeeee that worked I've waiting for months and you came in for me, if only I could do a cartwheel. There are a few issues the mike and cheese no longer works as well as the cinadash except for volume control you must tap it to go full throttle weird but thats minor. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast