Thread: Looking for a good audio player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looking for a good audio player

I have an old Creative Nomad MP3 player (recording, mp3 player, and thumb drive) that I love. Problem is that it's a 256M version. It's getting a little small these days, even with swapping folders of music around to change the playlists. Uses 1 AAA battery, and seems to play forever.
    I also have a iPod Mini, 4G version, and I hate it. I've never been able to get it to work correctly under Linux so I'm forced to use XP and iTunes to get audio onto it. The battery is also on it's last legs, and only gives me 4 hours now.

My birthday is coming up soon, and I'm looking for a replacement. I like the Nomad player physical size, and the features - AAA battery (I have a box of rechargeable batteries), mounts as a data device and I can move music to it by dragging and dropping, etc. It would be nice to find a new device that has all/most of these features, and be in the 2-4G range. Price is definitely a concern - we try and limit birthday gifts to $20-$40 since we have at least one birthday a week in the family starting mid-October until Christmas.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen some other MP3 players out there that look to fit the bill, but want to hear from owners of said devices before giving hints to the family.
    Thanks!

Beans

Re: Looking for a good audio player

I bought a Cowon D2 not long ago, and it's an excellent portable player for Linux. It supports drag-and-drop of files, plays ogg Vorbis and FLAC files as well as MP3s and AVI video. It sounds much better than an iPod in terms of sound quality (especially if you get a better pair of headphones than the stock earbuds). It even plays some Lite style Flash content. You can use the iRiverter package in the Synaptic repositories to transcode videos for it too. The video looks beautiful, and it was great being able to play my ogg files without having to transcode them first.
    It comes in 4 or 8GB capacities, but it also has an SD/SDHC-compatible card slot so you can literally triple the storage with the right memory card. It does have an internal rechargeable battery, but it really lasts between charges. And it's reasonably priced. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...TabStoreType=0

Slightly annoying was having to use the touch screen for everything, since it didn't have menu or track selection buttons. Also, I made the mistake of wiping the screen off with a too-damp cloth and it sort of died, making it unusable.
    ... I should really get that fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the info.
    I was also reading around on the forum and read some on the Sandisk Sansa. I'm looking at the C250 - 2G for ~$35. Even has voice recording! Anyone have any experience with them?

Beans

This web site has a lot of good information on mp3 players that should help in your search.
    http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

Happy Birthday