Thread: [SOLVED] Help with VBox

Beans
    Hidden!

[SOLVED] Help with VBox

I was trying to install VBox on Ubuntu, and it failed, but now everytime I try to do it from Synaptic (I added VBox'x repositories after the installation failed) it says that VBox is installed already, when it isn't.
    Red = Temp. Out of Commission | Green = Working Fine

Main Comp: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Secondary Comp: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwahl"

Beans

Re: Help with VBox

I would recommend you go download VirtualBox 2.0 from their website, this is an updated version to the one you are trying to isntall, also make sure you select the PUEL licensed version not the OSE.

This new version provides support for 64-bit guest OS's amongst other thingss

Beans
    Hidden!

I've downloaded the .deb from the website for 2.0.2. This morning, it said I had to install two pacakges that started with 'lib' I'll check that out now.

Beans

You may just need some dependant files then before you install, try to install the lib packages it lists.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, it installed perfectly with no erros. Yet, it doesn't show up in Applications.
    (Main Menu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Something to note about vbox 2 x64 guest support. It only works if your host CPU supports hardware virtualisation (Pentium DualCore and AMD Sempron are x64 CPU´s but lack VTx/AMDv hardware virtualisation) if your host CPU doesn´t, vbox silently emulates x86.
    P.D: I know this b/c I got a laptop with a Pentium DualCore CPU and it can´t run x64 guests on vbox 2.
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have 32-Bit/x86. I've just tried to install VBox from Terminal using sudo apt-get install virtualbox and it installed but no icon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can make a shortcut for it. The terminal command is "VirtualBox" and the icon is "/usr/share/pixmaps/Vbox.png"
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!

It just decided to show up and it works great. Do I have to add myself to a group or do anything else beyond installation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua-Touch View Post
    It just decided to show up and it works great. Do I have to add myself to a group or do anything else beyond installation?
    It automatically added me to the group 'vboxusers'. You can check with "groups" in terminal. All you might want to do is check where it put your default folders and move them somewhere else if you wish. There wasn't much to do other than start creating your machines.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.