Thread: Potential Hack?

Beans

Potential Hack?

Hello All,

I am new to Linux/Ubuntu and I have setup a Ubuntu/Lamp box and I was just looking through the apache2 log file and i have a lot of lines that read 70.63.86.162 - - [14/Sep/2008:11:38:09 -0500] "GET /~fareeda/ HTTP/1.1" 404 319 "-" "-". There is a long list of these and it seems that it's an alpabetical list of poetntial user names. That is just one line of many. What is this? What does it mean? Is this an attempted hack?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Potential Hack?

Quote Originally Posted by mregister View Post
    Hello All,

I am new to Linux/Ubuntu and I have setup a Ubuntu/Lamp box and I was just looking through the apache2 log file and i have a lot of lines that read 70.63.86.162 - - [14/Sep/2008:11:38:09 -0500] "GET /~fareeda/ HTTP/1.1" 404 319 "-" "-". There is a long list of these and it seems that it's an alpabetical list of poetntial user names. That is just one line of many. What is this? What does it mean? Is this an attempted hack?

Thanks.
    Possibly... crackers use "dictionary files" to brute-force login/password combos and the like. How many such entries are there in the log?

That IP address 70.63.86.162 is in a block registered to "Cape Fear Community College". Is that a real college? Does it mean anything to you? Or anyone else?
    Last edited by t0p; September 15th, 2008 at 07:38 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

there are a lot. It looks like a dictionary. They start with A and all the way through, just about every name there is. No the college does not mean anything to me. How did you find out what block it comes from. How do I stop that kind of attack. Wow I have a lot to learn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Crazy! Is there any way to have ubuntu automatically check for brute force attacks? Say maybe it informs you that there have been a certain number of failed login attempts... at the GUI level... not console.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

the absolute beginners section might not be the right place for this

try the security section - http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=338

they have all the knowledge you need...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

See this link :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=919472

Truth is these kinds of things are very common, take a look at ssh if you run it.

If I see a persistent IP -> black list the IP with iptables (UFW).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Un...ocking%20Rules
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mregister View Post
    there are a lot. It looks like a dictionary. They start with A and all the way through, just about every name there is. No the college does not mean anything to me. How did you find out what block it comes from. How do I stop that kind of attack. Wow I have a lot to learn.
    concider using ".htaccess" to protect your dirrectory, and you can also block alot of known bad BOTS with it.
    "A bill of rights is what the people are entitled to against every government on earth, general or particular, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."- Thomas Jefferson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Possibly... crackers use "dictionary files" to brute-force login/password combos and the like. How many such entries are there in the log?

That IP address 70.63.86.162 is in a block registered to "Cape Fear Community College". Is that a real college? Does it mean anything to you? Or anyone else?
    google shows that ip being used alot for wierd stuff and strange user names.
    "A bill of rights is what the people are entitled to against every government on earth, general or particular, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."- Thomas Jefferson

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

OrgName: Road Runner HoldCo LLC
    OrgID: RCMS
    Address: 13241 Woodland Park Road
    City: Herndon
    StateProv: VA
    PostalCode: 20171

I get that with a whois lookup