Thread: [SOLVED] cannot minimize windows to taskbar

Beans

[SOLVED] cannot minimize windows to taskbar

I was reading an article on how to custimize your ubuntu desktop even better and i was trying to change a few things but afterwards i noticed that when i would minimize any open windows they would just dissapear and not go to the taskbar can anyone help me just go back to default settings.

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: cannot minimize windows to taskbar

Right-click on your bottom panel (assuming this is where you want your windows to GO when you minimize them) and click on the "Add to Panel" option.

From the options presented click on the option for "Windows List as Buttons". I think that's the correct name for it. I'm sorry but I'm stuck behind a WinXP machine at the moment at my office. Pretty sure that's what it's called though.

Now when you minimize windows, you'll see them as buttons on your bottom PANEL (not "taskbar", Ubuntu has "PANELS" ... ).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    Right-click on your bottom panel (assuming this is where you want your windows to GO when you minimize them) and click on the "Add to Panel" option.

From the options presented click on the option for "Windows List as Buttons". I think that's the correct name for it. I'm sorry but I'm stuck behind a WinXP machine at the moment at my office. Pretty sure that's what it's called though.

Now when you minimize windows, you'll see them as buttons on your bottom PANEL (not "taskbar", Ubuntu has "PANELS" ... ).
    Thanks man that worked great

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Chelives1928 View Post
    Thanks man that worked great
    Ah, good. Glad you were able to figure it out.

It can be a little frustrating trying to help when I feel I have one arm tied behind my back! Lol...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] cannot minimize windows to taskbar

Thank you, brother! You helped another Ubuntu noob!

Beans

Helped me too dude!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thank you! got the same problem and your solution worked like a charm

Beans

I had the same problem and discovered this fix myself, however now the window buttons on the bottom panel are all squashed to the right and can't be moved to the left of the panel (which is blank, apart from the "view desktop" icon which I was able to add and move).

I've attached a screenshot and would appreciate help from anyone.

Oops: just found the panel divider that was set all the way to the right and I think I've fixed the problem by moving it to the left. Another noobie problem, I guess ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wurlyfan; July 20th, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thank you - such a simple solution!