View Poll Results: Do you agree linux world needs more automaticity and less "necessary" terminal intera

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 31.91%
  • No

32 68.09%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seamless "installation" of virtualbox in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Seamless "installation" of virtualbox in ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by spandanj View Post
    Hi,
    ... Now, most of you will say that it is NOT a big hassle. All you have to do was edit /etc/ ____ files. Yes. But, an "end user" should not have to do that. THAT is why they have ".deb" packages which install the software for you, like any ".exe" in windows. The virtualbox deb package should have done all that for me, leaving me with a simple prompt asking me whether to turn on/off the usb support.

So, whoever is listening, these are my 2 cents.
    Two questions:
    1. Does the Windows version of Virtualbox behave like you describe (like offering a simple prompt)? I don't know myself, so I am asking you, because only then the comparison would be valid.

2. This behavior is application specific, so you should address your complaint to the creators of Virtualbox. Why do you blame Linux, just because the DEB package is not behaving as you would like?

It's okay to criticize things, but it should be done in a fair way. As some previous posters already said, most users are just so used to Windows, that they don't realize, how much time they sometimes invest to get a problem resolved or a program configured the right way.
    I Ubuntu, therefore I am
    (Started climbing the Ubuntu learning curve on October 18th 2007)

Beans

I agree with you.

What I am complaining about - virtualbox in linux supporting other OS - and other things which you can do in linux, are usually NOT done in windows by the general public. So, that sort of causes a 'dis-comparison' since what do you compare this problem with "what" problem in windows. Issri - or watever (i m not techie), is one I guess.

But, my point is, increasing more "click-and-point" philosophy in linux atleast for software that the general population on linux would use. I would consider virtualbox a common software that a general population.

Look, I m only arguing from a perspective a new linux user. I am not arguing the advanced linux users who use linux to run servers, develop computer language, programs, etc. Because I do understand that for those complicated stuff you would need command line, even in windows.
    I find it easier to type "slapt-get -i *program*" than to click through a wizard. But maybe I'm crazy.

Beans

Re: a scare of my life....this is what happens

Ok, I got a perfect example to support my belief that configuration should be wizard based instead of command line

So, I own magicjack, a VoIP telephone. I didnt work in virtualbox-winxp. I thought it had to do with networking. So, i started looking up on that. I found the problem could be solved if i set vbox networking from NAT to host interface using bridging. I set upon setting up the bridge. I did not know what I was up against.

I came upon this page to help me set it up: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Vi...x#8.04%20Hardy. So, I followed it's instruction of setting a bridge connection between vbox and host. Took me about 10 mins which involved change system files such as etc/network/interface, etc. installed bridge-utilities, etc. Ran several commands which I had no clue what it was doing except it was part of the 15-20 step process. I kept my cool running all the steps and being careful doing them just as they said (they looked weird since I am a newbie--a normal person who does not want to and shouldn't have to know how a linux operating system works).

When all was done and finished, magicjack still did not work in vbox. So, I said, I will just go back to NAT since it had no other problem.

I restarted the computer...

WOAH, it now tells me something like

kinit: boot image missing
    resume normal boot
    user tty1...something

my screen size had gone from 1280x800 to very low. all effects were off. I was scared shitless. Not only did I not know what went wrong, I had no idea wat to do fix it.

so, i re-edited all system files to the way they were. uninstalled bridge utilies. and restarted. still the same problem.
    -->restarted again, chose 'recovery' ubuntu. did all the recovery-->restart. NOW, it worked fine.

So, the GIST of the story is: I had no knowledge/understanding of what the steps were telling me to do. I did not know how to reverse the effects if I wished to uninstall in future. And, it almost broke my computer setting up a bridge connection. Had it been windows, how would I have set up a bridge connection? Network connections-->right click-->bridge connection. that is it.

So, WHY can't we have a wizard to do mundane tasks like setting up bridge connections? or a script? The question is not WHY the command line? Because there might be benefits to command line to a programmer. The question is WHY NOT a wizard to make it easy? and I will tell you why NOT the command line....because guys like me can and possibly will mess up a lengthy procedure like this with no way of getting out or fixing it (or atleast not knowing how to).

So, tell me, why not a wizard or a script?

Beans

So, tell me, why not a wizard or a script?
    Wizards don't grow on trees...

Beans

Re: A scary experience I shouldn't have had......

I appreciate your point, but it doesn't need to be posted in three separate threads...

Beans

You are overcharging...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    Wizards don't grow on trees...
    Unless the tree is bash and zenity...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

This IS a complain.

Why do things in the "linux" world always have to be complicated for the end user. Let me cite you my recent experience. I installed virtualbox 2.0.2 on my ubuntu 8.04. Getting xp to run on it was not a problem. However, to set up USB support and shared folder was a BIG hassle!

Now, most of you will say that it is NOT a big hassle. All you have to do was edit /etc/ ____ files. Yes. But, an "end user" should not have to do that. THAT is why they have ".deb" packages which install the software for you, like any ".exe" in windows. The virtualbox deb package should have done all that for me, leaving me with a simple prompt asking me whether to turn on/off the usb support.

THIS is the reason what keeps ordinary people away from ubuntu/linux. My friends all like ubuntu. they would pick ubuntu over windows anyday IF they didnt have to confront such "hassles".

I am not quite sure why Vbox deb for Ubuntu can't enable USB, however, posting a complain here is not helpful. AFYI, vbox is not Linux, and it is developed by Sun, so write to them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I appreciate your point, but it doesn't need to be posted in three separate threads...
    ........just emphasizing.....you should have been where I was couple hours ago. i thought i had lost all my data!

Beans

........just emphasizing.....you should have been where I was couple hours ago. i thought i had lost all my data!
    plus, i am one of the guys who tell ppl to use ubuntu, and then it screws...so i take it personally.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast