Thread: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Quote Originally Posted by codymyth View Post
    Actually they do have a website.

http://www.la-vida-game.co.uk/
    OK, I didn't see this before, nice website! But some of the icons could use some fixing up, the icons for Ubuntu, Patches, and Source Forge icons are very pixelated. I know it's not horribly important, but still.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There have probably been more website developers than actual game coders for this project's entire life so far

I stopped contributing to the site when it got changed to Wordpress. Not because I thought it was a bad idea or anything, it looks really cool now. Its just that I didn't know how to work with wordpress at the time( still don't really ).

I apologize for not keeping the site up to date, but puzzler995 is a better web developer than I am. I hope he takes notice and updates the site a little. In the meantime, I'll try and teach myself Wordpress

Argh I don't have an android phone...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bios Element View Post
    Lemme put it this way, No one is going to waste 15 seconds of time until you at least get a list of features and some planning done. Until then your 100% on your own. 15 lines of HTML is not nearly enough.
    Looks like there was some CSS in there too

On the other hand, it's honestly a good idea. I would play it. Heck, if my programming wasn't so bad, I would help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    There have probably been more website developers than actual game coders for this project's entire life so far
    I guess maybe it's time we changed that, I'm still only a novice, and my courses focus is on C++, but it's a game design diploma. I'll have a look at the code and see if I can make sense of it, then maybe contribute. Finger crossed I'll be one more coder in the mix.
    By the people, for the people.

Beans

Summary of whats going on so far:

-Mickey is trying to earn some money to get game models.

-Noraphalem is playing with creating a server so that we can separate the game logic from the representation.

-People keep offering to work on the site

-I am.. uh.. manning the IRC channel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@dagoth_pie,
    cool man, hope you understand something. I'm going to peek at the code too I guess, see if I understand anything after all these months

-I am.. uh.. manning the IRC channel
    Hehe, thats still very much needed. Everyone needs a way to communicate instantly if things start off again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd hope so too, I've been watching this thread a while, but so far my only contribution has been suggesting "dudes"... It really would be great to have a good sandbox game Available on Linux,

One thing that I would like to put forward, is keeping the game art, under a free license. Most open source games while leaving the code free, use a separate license to lock the game art, keeping it in the game for the sake of uniqueness. However I think that once this game reaches a playable state we'll find ourselves flooded with user created content, mostly wall and floor textures. But I think that having freely available art would be useful for programmers wanting to start a game project, although seeing as Mickey is the project lead and the one generating some revenue to get game art in the first place, I guess it's his call.
    By the people, for the people.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dagoth_pie View Post
    One thing that I would like to put forward, is keeping the game art, under a free license. Most open source games while leaving the code free, use a separate license to lock the game art, keeping it in the game for the sake of uniqueness. However I think that once this game reaches a playable state we'll find ourselves flooded with user created content, mostly wall and floor textures. But I think that having freely available art would be useful for programmers wanting to start a game project, although seeing as Mickey is the project lead and the one generating some revenue to get game art in the first place, I guess it's his call.
    To be brutally honest, we are completely at the mercy of whoever wants to contribute content. Insisting on CC licenses will not help us at all at this point. That said, I don't think awesome game models is a priority at the moment. It's much more important that we get the game working. Noraphalem's idea of separating server and client seems to be a good idea, as we can make a text based or 2D client for game testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    -Mickey is trying to earn some money to get game models.
    Not wanting to be negative or anything, but it's not exactly wise to scrape money for models. The graphical side of things are least of your worries. Make sure you have a good solid game engine before even thinking about graphics.

Coloured cubes should be used instead as a representation of character models. Maybe transform it to show animations and different actions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ojdon View Post
    Not wanting to be negative or anything, but it's not exactly wise to scrape money for models. The graphical side of things are least of your worries. Make sure you have a good solid game engine before even thinking about graphics.

Coloured cubes should be used instead as a representation of character models. Maybe transform it to show animations and different actions.
    I kinda alluded to this in my previous post

Page 79 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast