Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to buy an Ubuntu laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Best place to buy an Ubuntu laptop?

How are Dell with their Ubuntu systems? Are there better places? I am looking for one that's not too expensive, like $700-ish. I'm going to use it for general use, browsing the internet, some homework, maybe a little GIMP-editing. Any suggestions are welcome.

Beans

Re: Best place to buy an Ubuntu laptop?

Try either Dell or System76 (system76.com)
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

I'd second Dell. Sadly in the UK they don't have as much choice as they do in the USA.
    -[Discipline] - Macbook Pro 5,3 - Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9400M + 9600GT, 320Gb HDD, Mac OSX 10.7.1 Lion
    -Windows free since May 2007.

Try either Dell or System76 (system76.com)
    Besides those two, people have mentioned za reason computers, and emperor linux.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I'm looking at Dell and they seem to have good laptops, however I noticed this:
    Ubuntu
    Windows
    both starting at $699. The only difference in them that I can find is this:
    the Ubuntu has 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 while the Windows has 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 and 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. Don't know much about hardware but it seems like Ubuntu, the OS that they get for free, for the same price is worse. Any thoughts on this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by S3loth View Post
    Okay, I'm looking at Dell and they seem to have good laptops, however I noticed this:
    Ubuntu
    Windows
    both starting at $699. The only difference in them that I can find is this:
    the Ubuntu has 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 while the Windows has 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 and 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. Don't know much about hardware but it seems like Ubuntu, the OS that they get for free, for the same price is worse. Any thoughts on this?
    this has been a big topic EVERYWHERE, please dont turn this tread into another "dell ubuntu vs windows prices" thread...

I read that one reason Dell Ubuntu computers are more expensive is that those computers don't get paid by other companies to put their software on the computer. That other software is known as crapware.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

lol, okay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    I read that one reason Dell Ubuntu computers are more expensive is that those computers don't get paid by other companies to put their software on the computer. That other software is known as crapware.

I also believe someone told me Dell charges a fee for codecs, etc. To comply with (whoever). I would spend a few minutes toll free and talk to a Dell rep. Couldn't hurt. I'm glad Dell offers Linux. I doubt if Mike would have gotten away with it in the early 90's. MS would have "banished" them.

M.
    Hate Coffee, Love Ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    In other words you are paying extra not to be annoyed. Heh, It never bothered me because the first thing I did when I bought my Dell from w*lm*rt was pop in an Ubuntu disk. I never saw any of the crapware or Vista for that matter. It was good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast