Thread: removing programs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

removing programs

one of my systems is a dell laptop w/ vista on it. i know this is a ubuntu forum but i thought i'd run it through you guys. it did have a free copy (provided by isp) of Computer Associates Anti Virus. unfortunatly vista, Revo Uninstaller and Your Uninstaller 2008 are all unable to completly remove every tiny piece of it. i can't install McAfee because it detects CA. but vista, Revo and YU say its nolonger there. anyone know what to do to fix it other than a complete reload? thanks

Beans

Re: removing programs

Did you check for folders for this application?
    Depending on how deep it went you could just delete the subfolders the application made.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've tried. The computer doesn't recognize that there are any folders from there, but when I tried to install McAfee on the computer it said CA was still on there.

Beans

you know some applications like that attach to the main core of windows, I have seen it happen.
    You might be stuck with what you have in that case.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Can CCleaner help at all in this case? I don't really know anything about Windows anymore, but maybe CCleaner would clear junk out of the registry...

Beans

A registry cleaner might help. You can also check CA's site to see if they have a removal tool... I know symantec provides a removal tool for some of it's products because they won't completely uninstall.